Old Pipe and Tobacco Ads

Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Whalehead King

'nuff said.
Whalehead King

This isn't an ad about pipes, it's about tilling machines. The front page of the brochure says it all. This is a man's man, the kind who tills the land and smokes a pipe and is the master of all that he tills.

https://ia600205.us.archive.org/19/item ... _July_.pdf
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:26 pm This isn't an ad about pipes, it's about tilling machines. The front page of the brochure says it all. This is a man's man, the kind who tills the land and smokes a pipe and is the master of all that he tills.

https://ia600205.us.archive.org/19/item ... _July_.pdf
Nice haircut too...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Maynard

Excellent!
xrundog

I posted this one at the old site wondering what the heck a "Jimmy Pipe" is. I guess it can be inferred from the context, but it's gotten a little murky with the passage of time. It's dated 1913.

xrundog

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:24 pm This reminds me of my days in the U.S. Navy. We could still take smoke breaks then. I understand that's frowned on now.

That guy is a Boatswain's Mate 3rd Class, BM3, a Bo'son. I was a Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class, HM2, a Doc, a pecker checker, or, as Mrs. King is always mortified to hear, a penis machinist. Good old Navy talk, like the only thing I did was check guys for venereal disease. I had a much more distinguished career, the way most Bos'ons did even though we also called them "Deck Apes."

I didn't smoke Chesterfields then. I smoked unfiltered Luckies.

Now, a civilian, I smoke a pipe and machine made cigars. That's why I'm here.
I still like to use Navy sayings like: "The smoking lamp is lit!" and the old favorite, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!" I departed my last ship in 1992. In the 5 years I was there we went from smoking wherever we wanted, to smoking on the messdecks, to smoking at the amidship's weatherdeck. I quit cigarettes about year two.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Here is a picture of my father smoking a cob in WWII.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

xrundog wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:44 pm I posted this one at the old site wondering what the heck a "Jimmy Pipe" is. I guess it can be inferred from the context, but it's gotten a little murky with the passage of time. It's dated 1913.

The "Jimmy" pipe has a little rim bashing.

Old Ted Award - 2017
xrundog

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:11 pm
xrundog wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:44 pm I posted this one at the old site wondering what the heck a "Jimmy Pipe" is. I guess it can be inferred from the context, but it's gotten a little murky with the passage of time. It's dated 1913.

The "Jimmy" pipe has a little rim bashing.
Your Dad looks pretty sharp in those whites. He has his hat squared, not very regulation, but I used to like that too.

From the text I gather that the "Jimmy Pipe" was a very well used old favorite. That certainly describes the pictured pipe. :)