Must try blends

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:59 pm Y'all gotta get some Sutliff Ready Rubbed. It’s a match for Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I never smoked Edgeworth but this match is a great all day smoke. It what I’ve been smoking today and it just gets better and better, pipe after pipe. If you like regular Sir Walter Raleigh you’ll love Sutliff Ready Rubbed. It’s slow burning and really mellow, sweetish without being overly so, with a room aroma like baking cookies. Sutliff says it’s cocoa, chocolate, and molasses in the flavoring and it’s all there. So good. Right at $27 for a pound at smokingpipes.com.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobac ... 6112/bulk/
How's it compare to Lane Ready Rubbed?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:54 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:59 pm Y'all gotta get some Sutliff Ready Rubbed. It’s a match for Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I never smoked Edgeworth but this match is a great all day smoke. It what I’ve been smoking today and it just gets better and better, pipe after pipe. If you like regular Sir Walter Raleigh you’ll love Sutliff Ready Rubbed. It’s slow burning and really mellow, sweetish without being overly so, with a room aroma like baking cookies. Sutliff says it’s cocoa, chocolate, and molasses in the flavoring and it’s all there. So good. Right at $27 for a pound at smokingpipes.com.

They're both good and they taste pretty close, but Sutliff is a little more flavorful. And Sutliff is cheaper, so there ya go!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:00 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:54 pm

They're both good and they taste pretty close, but Sutliff is a little more flavorful. And Sutliff is cheaper, so there ya go!
Well now, it's goin' on the list!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Have to agree with Kevin again because I think the Sutliff is just a better tobacco & smoke than what I've gotten from the Lane blend.

Has anyone mentioned Sutliff rum & maple match yet? That's another must try / have for me. There's a bit over a pound squirreled away here
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Matt7082

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:06 am Another that I had recently and of course is not available is McConnells lat flake . It's sublime , truly

@David M ... I still remember you when I pop the MB lat disc
McConnell’s Latakia Flake is a good one! If you like that, then you must try Sillem’s Commodore Flake. The Kentucky leads the party in this blend. Also a touch of cavendish to sweeten it a bit.
Peacock

Bumping this post - since I think it's a great topic. Also adding a vote for Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake - this is a damn good Virginia Perique that burns down with consistent flavor all the way through.
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
beeftip

I like "outlier" tobacco. Blends on the fringe, if you will. I think every pipe smoker should try these, if only to have a better baseline. Or something like that.

Here we go...

Samuel Gawith -- 1792 (because Tonquin, or whatever they put on it. It's kind of fun)
Gawith & Hoggarth - Dark Flake - Scented (because everyone should know what it's like to load your grandmother into a pipe and smoke her)
Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin (because it proves that pipe tobacco can be bone dry, super fine cut, and still delicious. Plus, you need to try Semois)
Captain Earle - Ten Russians (because latakia, way too much latakia)
GL Pease - Abingdon (because subtlety is for pussies)
Sillem's Red or Blue (just do it, the tin is really cool)
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

beeftip wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 pm I like "outlier" tobacco. Blends on the fringe, if you will. I think every pipe smoker should try these, if only to have a better baseline. Or something like that.

Here we go...

Samuel Gawith -- 1792 (because Tonquin, or whatever they put on it. It's kind of fun)
Gawith & Hoggarth - Dark Flake - Scented (because everyone should know what it's like to load your grandmother into a pipe and smoke her)
Tabac Manil - Le Petit Robin (because it proves that pipe tobacco can be bone dry, super fine cut, and still delicious. Plus, you need to try Semois)
Captain Earle - Ten Russians (because latakia, way too much latakia)
GL Pease - Abingdon (because subtlety is for pussies)
Sillem's Red or Blue (just do it, the tin is really cool)
I feel like I would really enjoy reading your tobacco reviews.. :thumbs:
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
AngraMelo

No list of top blends is complete without Golden Extra from Mac Baren
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

AngraMelo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:20 pm No list of top blends is complete without Golden Extra from Mac Baren
One of the great ones for sure! :thumbs:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!