Ennerdale

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Puff nstuff wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:01 pm I would like to learn more about the history of pipe tobacco manufacturing in Great Britain. The marketing language of Gawith products often mentions they are made for those with an appreciation for the flavors of 'traditional British tobaccos.' It is said that GH have been using the same equipment, techniques and flavorings for the past couple hundred years, and those flavorings are natural essences, extracts, and oils from plants and seeds, most (if not all) of which are also associated with apothecary and personal hygiene products popular in Georgian and Victorian times. I wonder how much interplay there was between the two industries, if they competed for resources or developed any synergies. I wonder how many other manufacturers made similar products to those which we now call Lakelands. There are vestiges still of fruity/flowery offerings from other houses (St. Bruno, Erinmore, Hyde Park, etc.), but what else was available in Britain back in the day? How many other blends (or perhaps even entire styles!) have been lost to the passage of time? 🤔
Dip your toes into the snuff world. Some great history available on YouTube. Same story, ancient machinery and recipes etc.

I hate talking about snuff. It makes me want snuff. McCrystal's apricot.... Mmmmmm.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
gawithhoggarth

Well originally tobacco was seen as a medicine and processed and sold through apocatheries. Indeed the original business that became Gawith's was set up between someone from this trade and someone who learned the art of snuff making and the old factory housed an apocathery.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I enjoy several of the GH blends . . . if you enjoy Lakeland style tobaccos there are none better.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
gawithhoggarth

There is lots about the history of Gawith's and tobacco on our facebook page and Instagram page etc.