Burley Blending

Rusticated

I got 1/2 lb of UHLE's 00 a short time ago along with some WCS and a couple other "top shelf" burleys. Love the 00 but...I'm finding I do like the burley blends more often than than the straight burleys. I noticed in TR some folks spoke of using 00 as a blender as was wondering if any of ya'll have any fav blends you mix up at home...especially using the 00? Ratios? I was gonna start with just a straight 50/50 Bur/VA using 00 and Mac B's HH Pure VA and see what I get.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

While I don't have experience with Uhle's 00, I have done a fair amount of blending with straight burley. Mostly in blends where I needed added tobacco strength, or when a virginia had just a tad too much "hay" for me. I always used Peter Stokkebye 702 Burley or 312 Toasted Burley, as they were also good enough to be smoked alone.
I am guilty of cutting down Englishes, especially Red Rapparee with about 25% Toasted Burley to make a sort of Super American. Also I've committed further atrocities, like cutting F&T Cut Virginia Plug with around 50% PS 702 Burley to make my own Sweet Tooth Va/Bur.
My general rule is to mix one bowl full at a time to see how it turns out, and start with burley in the minority because it can overwhelm other tobaccos pretty easily.. especially stout burleys like 5 Bros. after you get the ratios right, then mix up an ounce to see if your ratios scale.
Not sure if that is of any use to you.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Rusticated

houtenziel wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:26 pm While I don't have experience with Uhle's 00, I have done a fair amount of blending with straight burley. Mostly in blends where I needed added tobacco strength, or when a virginia had just a tad too much "hay" for me. I always used Peter Stokkebye 702 Burley or 312 Toasted Burley, as they were also good enough to be smoked alone.
I am guilty of cutting down Englishes, especially Red Rapparee with about 25% Toasted Burley to make a sort of Super American. Also I've committed further atrocities, like cutting F&T Cut Virginia Plug with around 50% PS 702 Burley to make my own Sweet Tooth Va/Bur.
My general rule is to mix one bowl full at a time to see how it turns out, and start with burley in the minority because it can overwhelm other tobaccos pretty easily.. especially stout burleys like 5 Bros. after you get the ratios right, then mix up an ounce to see if your ratios scale.
Not sure if that is of any use to you.
It's all new to me so all help appreciated...thanks hout!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Rusticated wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:30 pm It's all new to me so all help appreciated...thanks hout!
I would by no means say that I am anything but a complete novice at it also. I basically just blindly started mixing stuff until it tasted right(or was at least semi-smokable). All I can say is.. keep track of what you are doing.. I've had some amazing smokes that I wasn't able to fully reproduce because I was just haphazardly tossing stuff together. I got a little scientific with it and bought one of those little scales they sell at head shops for "undisclosed purposes". I measured out what a normally packed bowl of a given tobacco, and then started changing ratios by weight rather than by eye. This is still somewhat problematic because tobacco moisture can pretty drastically change weights, but it's about as close to totally consistent as I could get when scaled up.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

FWIW, I like Uhle's 00 and PS 702 too much as they are to have ever tried blending with them. I thin aromatics with SPRT and beef them up with C&D Dark Burley or 5 Bros somewhat frequently.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Rusticated

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 pm FWIW, I like Uhle's 00 and PS 702 too much as they are to have ever tried blending with them. I thin aromatics with SPRT and beef them up with C&D Dark Burley or 5 Bros somewhat frequently.
Thanks Padre!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

yeah don't mix up too much of that 00 til you're sure you like the mix better than the original. 00 is the finest straight Burley I ever smoked. For me it's like a very good small batch bourbon or single malt scotch, way too good on its own to mix with anything.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Mmmmm Uhle's 00