The No Name French Surprise

Woodrow1953

Sometimes they really do fight back. This was originally a yard pipe, lightly smoked. I had no idea why.

I scrubbed the pipe with Murphys, and after a two day soak in alcohol the finish was untouched. I couldn’t figure out what I had and reached out to some restorers. It was urethane. That’s right, URETHANE. That’s the surprise. No wonder it hadn’t been smoked.

I had work to do. I couldn’t have used paint remover, but decided to sand. I’d lose the rustication but at this point I really didn’t care. Virtually I threw everything I had at it.
If anyone runs into this situation use the water solvable paint remover from your hardware store. For sanding I used steel wool, and different sanding grades.

After sanding, I tried a two tone approach with a darker bottom. I did had trouble blending the top and the bottom, but worked out rather well. I did not get too much of a contrast between the top and bottom of the pipe, but for a cheap yard pipe I think I got my moneys worth. I do like this shape.
I’m looking forward to a smoke this fall.

(The pics from beginning to end thru the process)

Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

My respect for what you have accomplished ties my tongue. Nice work.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Silver
Certified Codger

Lookin' good, Bill. That's some nice birdseye, too!
Nhsmoker

I liked the initial look of the pipe. When I saw the in progress pics I thought you had ruined it. The end result is beautiful. Impressive work!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Well done!
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It looks fine . I wasnt sure why you didnt use chemical stripper to take the finish off . The finish on pipes is pretty " weak " in a sense and a chemical stripper , if applied with a bit of control , wont leave anything weird going on . Anyway , the smooth finish is real nice :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Nhsmoker wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:08 am I liked the initial look of the pipe. When I saw the in progress pics I thought you had ruined it. The end result is beautiful. Impressive work!
+1 ! A pleasant surprise ending!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Woodrow1953

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:28 am It looks fine . I wasnt sure why you didnt use chemical stripper to take the finish off . The finish on pipes is pretty " weak " in a sense and a chemical stripper , if applied with a bit of control , wont leave anything weird going on . Anyway , the smooth finish is real nice :thumbs:
I really wasn’t sure what to use. Alcohol and acetone didn’t make a mark. There’s a water soluble paint remover that I do like .. and I didn’t want to go the thinner route.

What’s amazing is the blue gloves I wore applying acetone completely dissolved, and the pipe surface remained the same.

If I did it again. I’d use the solvable stripper, multiple times.
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson