Chaplain

More SP Mellow in a Grabow freehand
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Hitzy

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:20 pm
Hitzy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:04 am

Tell us the shape and maybe provide a link to a picture. Someone will know.
One of these guys here https://www.drgrabow.net/project/savoy-textured-pipe/
These guys don't have the most extensive selection, but they do list full measurements and specs on what they do carry
https://www.tobaccopipes.com/dr-grabow-pipes/
Hey, thank-you! Had the one I was eyeballing, .69"x1.5" which is a good size for my needs.
I have an old Dr Plumb with a Vulcanite stem...I swear I can smell and taste rubber from it, could be in my head though, could be that it hadn't been used in 50 years too. Is there any noticeable difference in new Vulcanite vs Acrylic or whatever the hard plastic is other makers use?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Hitzy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pm Hey, thank-you! Had the one I was eyeballing, .69"x1.5" which is a good size for my needs.
I have an old Dr Plumb with a Vulcanite stem...I swear I can smell and taste rubber from it, could be in my head though, could be that it hadn't been used in 50 years too. Is there any noticeable difference in new Vulcanite vs Acrylic or whatever the hard plastic is other makers use?
Yes, vulcanite - especially cheap vulcanite - can have a taste/smell akin to a rubber bicycle tire. This is especially noticeable when they are badly oxidized or there is no wax present on the stem. I've also noticed that the oxidation around the button makes my lips burn.. probably because it's sulfur.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Derby Club in the Grabow freehand

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wessex brown VA flake in the elephants foot & an afternoon cup of coffee
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Hitzy

houtenziel wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 pm
Hitzy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pm Hey, thank-you! Had the one I was eyeballing, .69"x1.5" which is a good size for my needs.
Yes, vulcanite - especially cheap vulcanite - can have a taste/smell akin to a rubber bicycle tire. This is especially noticeable when they are badly oxidized or there is no wax present on the stem. I've also noticed that the oxidation around the button makes my lips burn.. probably because it's sulfur.
Whew...not crazy, huge relief, thanks!
I'm a fairly new pipe smoker, haven't smoked anything in 20 years and just picked it up. I was looking for some stress relief and after the first bowl I knew I had found it. I'll still use Gramps old Dr Plumb on special occasions...just not in the regular rotation.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

SPRT & 5 Bros in the Grabow freehand

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

SP Mellow in a Grabow freehand

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Picayune in a Silver Duke pot

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I mixed up a baggie of 3:1 Low Country Vabur and PS Nougat and am smoking it in a Dr Grabow CDL
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!