Mastercraft Meerschaum

xrundog

I just picked this up as a "Buy it Now" for $25. I know Master Craft isn't a high end pipe, but it looks like a pretty nice restorable meerschaum for that price. The case looks almost perfect and it (the case) is stamped "Genuine Block Meerschaum". Looks like a winner to me.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I likee!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Rusticated

Looks like it's worth every cent to me...nice find, nice price.
ted
Broken Pipe

xrundog wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:36 pm I just picked this up as a "Buy it Now" for $25. I know Master Craft isn't a high end pipe, but it looks like a pretty nice restorable meerschaum for that price. The case looks almost perfect and it (the case) is stamped "Genuine Block Meerschaum". Looks like a winner to me.

xrundog, I worked with Grabow from 1966 till 1991 and retired as President and COO. From 1974 till 1982 I was on loan to Mastercraft.
There is no-one left alive that knows more about the history of Mastercraft than I do.
I have little time today to give a lesson on Mastercraft, But I will..

In the meantime.... This is my second one. The first one lasted for 40 years and finally disintegrated from use. It was, without a question, the best pipe I ever owned.... And I gave away 300+ smoked pipes when I retired.

ted
xrundog

Thanks for the post Ted. Looks like both pipes definitely have the same pedigree. I've seen some nice Mastercraft pipes over the years. I just never paid a lot of attention to them because I was collecting other pipes at the time. In the first post I should have said "Mastercraft isn't considered a high end pipe." Doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there.
xrundog

I was preparing to detail my pipe today when I noticed something amiss. Using a magnifying glass I could see a very fine hairline crack on the bottom of the pipe. Easy to miss, no foul. I contacted the seller for a return and he sent me a nice note apologizing, telling me to keep the pipe, and refunded my $$. Good guy! traco007, recommended!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

xrundog wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm I was preparing to detail my pipe today when I noticed something amiss. Using a magnifying glass I could see a very fine hairline crack on the bottom of the pipe. Easy to miss, no foul. I contacted the seller for a return and he sent me a nice note apologizing, telling me to keep the pipe, and refunded my $$. Good guy! traco007, recommended!
Wow, that's above and beyond, huh? He wants to keep those positive marks!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

If it turns into a "smoke it until it can't be smoked" pipe, it might go through the same phases as the Medico meer.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:06 pm If it turns into a "smoke it until it can't be smoked" pipe, it might go through the same phases as the Medico meer.

Is that Bondo I see?

I could find a video specifically geared to the pipe smoker.
xrundog

I agree Tom. I can't sell it. I'll likely try and run some tobacco through it just for kicks. This pipe has what I believe is a Revelation ghost. Sure hope I can exorcise it.