New "Ajustomatic" direct from Dr. G

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:48 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm Just to make sure I've got this straight, the stem screws into the bowl and this solves some sort of problem of which I've been previously unaware? Or, perhaps more accurately, some condition that has never bothered me?

I'm not making fun. The male end has a threaded whatchamacallit made of aluminum that screws into a matching female whatchamacallit. Is this what I would call an Army bit?

It can be smoked with or without a filter. Does this mean there is no stinger involved?

I'm not really in the market for a new pipe but, like many others on this forum, I can be persuaded to part with 40 bucks for novelty's sake.
Here is a picture. Warning to the OCD - this pipe will not see a pipe cleaner for a few more bowls. By your standards it needed one yesterday.

Yeah, that one is juicy!
Just about to get right and no gurgle...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Legion

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Warning to the OCD - this pipe will not see a pipe cleaner for a few more bowls. By your standards it needed one yesterday.

Yes, yes it did .
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I ended up ordering one of these new Ajustomatics. I will report back whenever it arrives.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm Just to make sure I've got this straight, the stem screws into the bowl and this solves some sort of problem of which I've been previously unaware? Or, perhaps more accurately, some condition that has never bothered me?

I'm not making fun. The male end has a threaded whatchamacallit made of aluminum that screws into a matching female whatchamacallit. Is this what I would call an Army bit?

It can be smoked with or without a filter. Does this mean there is no stinger involved?

I'm not really in the market for a new pipe but, like many others on this forum, I can be persuaded to part with 40 bucks for novelty's sake.
Here is a picture. Warning to the OCD - this pipe will not see a pipe cleaner for a few more bowls. By your standards it needed one yesterday.

Yeah, that one is juicy!
Try to see it from a different point of view, think of it as seasoning,... like the black coating on the inside of a BBQ pit or the brown film in an often used coffee pot, every bowl that Fr Tom smokes is better than the last one. ;)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

oldbill wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:29 pm
Try to see it from a different point of view, think of it as seasoning,... like the black coating on the inside of a BBQ pit or the brown film in an often used coffee pot, every bowl that Fr Tom smokes is better than the last one. ;)
It really is like the BBQ pit or the coffee pot. They get a cleaner typically when they have some mechanical need for one. So - there is a blockage or some popping from some moisture. I know people say they do it for the taste, and maybe it is a "princess and the pea" thing where my sensibilities are just not refined enough.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I imagine posting the flyer here would be good for them , as it would probably lure folks into their mailing list . It sounds pretty neat
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Not an army bit, but a built in metal screw-in tenon/mortise. It essentially means no more loose stems. Vulcanite tenons and briar mortise have a tendency to smooth out so the stem doesn't stick very well, at which point you have to stretch out the tenon to make it fit again (or use the old tape-around-the-tenon method).

The ajustomatic screw-in tenon/mortise is also a fix for the old non-adjustable screw-in tenons, which had a tendency to overturn when hot and then cool in a weird position not conducive to pipe smoking. Essentially, the top of your bowl rim would point east or west rather than north. The Dr G ajustomatic part allowed correction for that overturn without cracking your shank or stem.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:57 am I imagine posting the flyer here would be good for them , as it would probably lure folks into their mailing list . It sounds pretty neat
It's on page 3 of this thread. I asked Dr. G for permission to post it here, and so I had to wait until page 3 for a response :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Peacock

This is cool, looking forward to seeing your new pipe Hout.

While we're on the Ajustomatic tip - any screw in tenon from Dr. G is an Ajustomatic? I'd like to correct mine but how do I know if it's going to break - how does this Ajustomatic function actually work? Curious about how much torque it should take to fix an estate pipe - it's still smokable just a little overclocked and I'd like to AJUST it 8-)
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Peacock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 am This is cool, looking forward to seeing your new pipe Hout.

While we're on the Ajustomatic tip - any screw in tenon from Dr. G is an Ajustomatic? I'd like to correct mine but how do I know if it's going to break - how does this Ajustomatic function actually work? Curious about how much torque it should take to fix an estate pipe - it's still smokable just a little overclocked and I'd like to AJUST it 8-)
I am pretty sure that any threaded tenon from them for the last 40 years was Ajustomatic. I've never encountered a threaded tenon from them that wasn't, except for the older Linkman's. The easiest way to fix it is to heat the stinger with a match or a lighter, and while still warm, screw it into the pipe and keep turning it clockwise. sometimes it takes a few heat cycles to break them loose, and I've found that putting a drop of mineral oil down the tenon before heating can help free things up more.
― Theodore Roosevelt