Match Tobacco

Wildcat
Codger in Training

colorduke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:54 pm I'm smoking some Holiday match blend NOW as I type. I had some Holiday Excursion this morning ,I can't tell no difference between the 2. I never got to try The original Model but the Match blend is great .ill take Carter Hall over Chatham Manor it's nowhere close and bites like a badger,I like Derby Club but they could do away with the pg.milans Ky club and there version of London Dock I enjoy as well.
I trust your tastes so I'm glad to hear that the match and the Excursion are near identical. I've seen the marshmallow thing too, but I never got that at all either. I think a 1lb test sample is in order.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
colorduke

Wildcat,Smoking pipes has it on sale now.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

colorduke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:22 pm Wildcat,Smoking pipes has it on sale now.
I saw that. Cheaoer than P&C and TP. Plus 10% off if I'm reading right.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

In general , I think the industry should use the word Attempt . Matches are impossible.but that's a whole other thread

Sutliff ready rubbed is pretty good but I've noticed that there isnt a manufacturer today that can get the notes of burley that were in the otc . Middleton could swing it but they're the ones discontinuing everything.
All the matches have a majority higher and medium notes ... either that or their lows are just to weak or " off " , I'm not sure what it is really but none of them have a " Rounded " taste in comparison ... to me at least
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am In general , I think the industry should use the word Attempt . Matches are impossible.but that's a whole other thread

Sutliff ready rubbed is pretty good but I've noticed that there isnt a manufacturer today that can get the notes of burley that were in the otc . Middleton could swing it but they're the ones discontinuing everything.
All the matches have a majority higher and medium notes ... either that or their lows are just to weak or " off " , I'm not sure what it is really but none of them have a " Rounded " taste in comparison ... to me at least
It's almost like they need to toast the burley or add just a pinch of dark fired to add a little bottom. But none of them do it
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:29 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am In general , I think the industry should use the word Attempt . Matches are impossible.but that's a whole other thread

It's almost like they need to toast the burley or add just a pinch of dark fired to add a little bottom. But none of them do it
Could very well be . Id guess its just the base burley itself ... but hell , I have no idea really . But you do get where im coming from .... its like they are brighter and thinner ... right ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:30 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:29 am

Could very well be . Id guess its just the base burley itself ... but hell , I have no idea really . But you do get where im coming from .... its like they are brighter and thinner ... right ?
Absolutely. They're not as hearty as they used to be
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Doing a little more thinking about this I'd also guess that part of it is because some of the process has changed over the years. Back before the age of convenience and regulations the ingredients were real prune juice, real molasses, real everything. Nowadays it's a bottle of artificial flavoring that's "close enough" but ends up being thin because those natural sugars and whatnot aren't there