Hello from the snowy high plains

kxg

Hello all! I'm thinking that like with tobacco, frequenting only one pipe smoking forum just isn't enough. I'm a regular over on The Briar Patch but need another place to hang out from time to time. I notice some of you feel the same way.
By way of introduction: I'm a returning pipe smoker since July. I smoked pipes (as in 4 pipes) while working shift work some 40+ years ago, stopping around 30 years ago. I took up cigars in the intervening years and classed myself an "occasional" cigar smoker. In July, after being enticed by reading in the Brown Leaf sub-forum at Badger & Blade, I dragged my pipes out of exile in a garage cabinet and cleaned them up. Being a former straight Latakia smoker, I grabbed a tin of SPC Potlatch on sale at P&C. The rest of the story is all too familiar I'm sure.

Personally, I'm a one wife, two kids, three grandkids, and two dogs sort of guy. I worked 31 years in the natural gas and oil production business and then "retired" for 3 months. I've worked the last 12 1/2 years in the vocation of ministry as a small church pastor. I find there are a surprising number of similarities in those two vocations.
I'm Medicare eligible, if that gives you a clue as to my age; most days I feel younger than I am; other days, not so much.

Since taking back up the pipe, my pipe accumulation has grown; by how much depends on who you ask. I would say very moderately. I think I'm somewhere around 21 pipes more to less, but who's counting? What I'm most amazed by are the choices of tobacco blends available compared to 40 years ago. The internet has changed things considerably.
I'm currently smoking my way to finding the blends I enjoy most and that is an adventure for sure. I'm also stashing away as much tobacco as I reasonably can (reasonableness is a decision of my financial, social, and menu adviser). Ideally, I will have enough tobacco to sustain myself in the pastime for my remaining years by the time I decide to retire again. Somehow I can't see my above mentioned adviser viewing kindly my inveterate tobacco spending on a retiree's income. We will see.

That's about it. I'm looking forward to our conversations.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Welcome, sir! It's a pretty good bunch around here.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Welcome!
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Welcome!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ncrobb
Founding Member

Hello and welcome.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Hello from another man o' the cloth! I am glad you are here!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
vwdeano

welcome! Sit in front of the fire and rest yourself, sir...
A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Welcome to the forum KX, glad to have you Image
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Middle Earth

There is/was a tobacco blend Renaissance that peaked about a year ago. It still is a beautiful thing. Lot of pipe opportunities as well.
God Bless, and God Speed
kxg

Thanks for the welcomes! I arrive with the assumption that all of you are the sort of pipe smokers I'm used to; willing to discuss matters in a civil fashion, find room for agreement, disagree agreeably when we must, and most of all, keep our common love of the pipe & tobacco always at the forefront.