Lost and found

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm
Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm
I really like the look of this pipe. I enjoy a few gimmick pipes but I'm not as big a sucker for them as @Fr_Tom is and this one wouldn't make my cut unless I could smoke it without the maple insert. It is a great looker though and I bet it's a champion smoker, but that proprietary insert puts me off of it. I would always be wondering if I need to be hoarding them in case Brigham ever gave up the ghost or just stopped making the durn things since I can't just run down to Walgreens and pick up a box. :| I'm glad you found it!
I am a sucker for gimmick pipes. It is true. I have a WDC Hesson Guard Milano pot coming my way. It has a 1 in bowl ID, and that is a mitigating factor. All the Brighams I have ever seen had a smallish bowl capacity.

1" inner? Holy cow that's a man size chamber. The Old England pot I have has a full length "inner tube" setup on it and I love the thing. Not quite as gimmicky as some, but it sure works well
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Splodger

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm
Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm
I really like the look of this pipe. I enjoy a few gimmick pipes but I'm not as big a sucker for them as @Fr_Tom is and this one wouldn't make my cut unless I could smoke it without the maple insert. It is a great looker though and I bet it's a champion smoker, but that proprietary insert puts me off of it. I would always be wondering if I need to be hoarding them in case Brigham ever gave up the ghost or just stopped making the durn things since I can't just run down to Walgreens and pick up a box. :| I'm glad you found it!
I hear you, but I wouldn't call it a gimmick because it's actually very effective. It smokes dry, you have to suck on it like you're in need of a fix before you'll hear nary a gurgle. Add to that, a pack costs $3.16 and you get eight in a pack. If you got four packs for a total of $12.64, and smoked it once a week, they would last you 12 years! :D
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Whalehead King

I wish I could find all the pipes that I've lost. I don't know if it would have stopped me from buying more, but maybe a little bit. I've spent a lot of money trying to replace one pipe in particular.

I lost one that I still regret dropping in the heat of a moment. It's a long story. I'm not sorry I lost it but it turned out I dropped it for no good reason, no good reason at all. I could have kept it instead of losing it. It's been five years since I lost that pipe. It's gone. I've come to accept that I'll never see that pipe again even though I have crawled on my hands and knees in mud, retracing my steps., trying to find it in the weeds. I wouldn't say it was the best pipe I ever owned but it was in the top three. The third best pipe I've ever owned is but a memory to me now. Dead. Gone but not forgotten.

I've spent a lot of money trying to buy a pipe as good as that one. That's money I may as well have flushed down the toilet. That money would have been better spent not buying new pipes but as alms. To some people a sandwich is more valuable than a pipe----especially when we're talking about the crummy pipes I bought in pursuit of replacing that pipe that I lost. Heck, I'd rather enjoy a good sandwich or twenty than that money got me one lackluster pipe after another chasing my memory of my third-best pipe ever.

Ah, well. At least I have my memories and a story to tell. It's a story I haven't described in full in detail in this post and I probably never will. Don't ask. The scars from my loss still aren't fully healed over or thick. The thought of losing that pipe still causes an pang in my heart. When something lost is once again found, well, that is a graceful occurrence that happens for good reasons. You're a lucky man, Splodger, you are a lucky man, indeed. Smoke that pipe like it's meant to be smoked and I pray it will treat you well now that you've been reunited.
Legion

Whalehead King wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:12 pm I wish I could find all the pipes that I've lost. I don't know if it would have stopped me from buying more, but maybe a little bit. I've spent a lot of money trying to replace one pipe in particular.

I lost one that I still regret dropping in the heat of a moment. It's a long story. I'm not sorry I lost it but it turned out I dropped it for no good reason, no good reason at all. I could have kept it instead of losing it. It's been five years since I lost that pipe. It's gone. I've come to accept that I'll never see that pipe again even though I have crawled on my hands and knees in mud, retracing my steps., trying to find it in the weeds. I wouldn't say it was the best pipe I ever owned but it was in the top three. The third best pipe I've ever owned is but a memory to me now. Dead. Gone but not forgotten.

I've spent a lot of money trying to buy a pipe as good as that one. That's money I may as well have flushed down the toilet. That money would have been better spent not buying new pipes but as alms. To some people a sandwich is more valuable than a pipe----especially when we're talking about the crummy pipes I bought in pursuit of replacing that pipe that I lost. Heck, I'd rather enjoy a good sandwich or twenty than that money got me one lackluster pipe after another chasing my memory of my third-best pipe ever.

Ah, well. At least I have my memories and a story to tell. It's a story I haven't described in full in detail in this post and I probably never will. Don't ask. The scars from my loss still aren't fully healed over or thick. The thought of losing that pipe still causes an pang in my heart. When something lost is once again found, well, that is a graceful occurrence that happens for good reasons. You're a lucky man, Splodger, you are a lucky man, indeed. Smoke that pipe like it's meant to be smoked and I pray it will treat you well now that you've been reunited.
Gone but not forgotten, lol.
Sorry that the thought still causes you angst. I learnt a very long time ago to just 'let it go'.
Sooner or later every single one of us will realise the inevitable, that one day we will lose everything. As they say in the classics, 'You can't take it with you'.
My twin is immensely wealthy. When we were kids he cried for days when he lost 10c (And for the rest of the week when I reminded him; 'Gee Pete, that was bad luck' lol) I swore I'd never be like that.

Now, you Live in New Orleans, so you've probably heard weirder ........ I get impressions from time to time. As I was reading your story, I saw in my minds eye that someone picked it up not long after you dropped it. He was a poor older guy who could never have afforded a good pipe. It became a cherished possession. (I don't even get the sense that he smoked it a lot. He just liked holding it)

If you don't mind me asking; was it a good looking pipe?
Whalehead King

Legion wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:33 am If you don't mind me asking; was it a good looking pipe?
It was the goodest-looking pipe I'll never see again.

That pipe had lines like Jane Mansfield in a push-up bra.

That pipe had a stem like one of Betty Grable's legs in a fishnet stocking.

That pipe had more personality than Winston Churchill, C.S. Lewis, and Robert Downey Jr. all rolled up into one.

Losing that pipe was like when that kid lost Old Yeller.

That pipe was as solid as John Wayne.

That pipe was so fun to be with that when I smoked it I felt like I was with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in a Road movie.

When I die, I expect to find everyone where I end up smoking the same exact pipe if I end up where I hope to. Keep me in your prayers.

When I smoked that pipe, it was like this:

Yeah, it was a good-looking pipe. It was a good-smoking pipe, too.

Excuse me, now. I have to blow my nose and dry my eyes over my loss of that late, great pipe.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:50 pm
Legion wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:33 am If you don't mind me asking; was it a good looking pipe?

That pipe had more personality than Winston Churchill, C.S. Lewis, and Robert Downey Jr. all rolled up into one.

That pipe was so fun to be with that when I smoked it I felt like I was with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in a Road movie.

When I die, I expect to find everyone where I end up smoking the same exact pipe if I end up where I hope to. Keep me in your prayers.

Excuse me, now. I have to blow my nose and dry my eyes over my loss of that late, great pipe.
:lol: :thumbs: :king: :king: :king:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Legion

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:50 pm

That good huh? Bugger.

Look, I wont ask if you'll be ok because I just know that you will be.
And yes, as sure as ol' Yeller will be reunited with little Timmy in Hollywood Heaven, St Peter will be waiting at the Pearly Gates holding your pipe for it's return.