Latest Pipe Purchase 2018

APWB

ImageImageImage

I got lucky at the junk shop again. I already have more rack space than pipes, but this rack was too cool to pass up. It doesn’t hold straight pipes very well if the heel is the same diameter or smaller than the rim. They just slide right out.

I also found this Falcon in a little box of rough pipes. It cleaned up pretty well. The stem is in good shape and the bowl screws all the way on, so it’s good to go! Not bad for $8.
avid

APWB wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:06 pm ImageImageImage

I got lucky at the junk shop again. I already have more rack space than pipes, but this rack was too cool to pass up. It doesn’t hold straight pipes very well if the heel is the same diameter or smaller than the rim. They just slide right out.

I also found this Falcon in a little box of rough pipes. It cleaned up pretty well. The stem is in good shape and the bowl screws all the way on, so it’s good to go! Not bad for $8.
very cool all the way around
insufferable filter guy
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Dagner P7 Devil Anse
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Won this Kaywoodie Standard on the 'bay for under 12 bucks, shipping included.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:21 pm
Wooda wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am
Lots of how-to's about rebuilding a button.

Short version is:

1. get it really, really clean.

2. plug the airway with something nonstick. (folded up paper schmeared with petroleum jelly, stack of pipe cleaners, etc)

3. fill the hole with black pigmented Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka CA aka Superglue.

4. let set 24 hours or spray it with quickset and wait 10 minutes. Pull the greased paper/pipe cleaners from airway.

5. File down and sand to shape your button. file the inside to smooth airway if needed/wanted.

6. Repeat 3 to fill in the little holes left by bubbles in the CA.

7. micromesh whole stem to polish up to your level of acceptable shine.

8. Don't buff. Really, don't.
Don't want to jump in here, since your post was for someone else. But I really appreciate how simple you make these repairs! Makes me think that even someone like me can try his hand at pipe restoration. :) Thanks again!
It's more tedious than hard, do it enough and you'll develop your own methods. Here's a Charatan I have the luxury of owning since nobody wanted to bid on it, likely due to the stem. For just under $20 and with a little work it's all mine.

On topic P&C had 20% off so I grabbed a tub of SWRA, 1/2 pound of Louisiana Red, and a 1/2 pound of Anniversary Kake. Might need some jars.
What do you pigment the Cyanoacrylate with? Or can you just buy it in black? Nifty fix... I've got quite a few bowls (came in pipe lots on the bay) with chewed stems like this. Thanks!
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 pm Won this Kaywoodie Standard on the 'bay for under 12 bucks, shipping included.
So I'm not even back on PSF for a month and I"ve already started buying pipes again! Bad influences!!!

Mike, I picked up a couple KW's on the bay, too... $14 shipped for the lot. They look decent enough, but I'm still going to work my magic on them.

Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Longshanks wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:24 am
MikeDennison wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 pm Won this Kaywoodie Standard on the 'bay for under 12 bucks, shipping included.
So I'm not even back on PSF for a month and I"ve already started buying pipes again! Bad influences!!!

Mike, I picked up a couple KW's on the bay, too... $14 shipped for the lot. They look decent enough, but I'm still going to work my magic on them.

Can't beat the price!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
rekamepip
Codger in Training

with a little wheeling and dealing i sold a few my old pipes on ebay which generated some cash flow
which in turn i used to stimulate the economy

and using blackfriday coupon codes here is what is heading my way
a couple falcons
rekamepip
Codger in Training

and a few shorties

a little tobacco was ordered too ( for padding purposes ) :lol:
avid

rekamepip wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:14 pm with a little wheeling and dealing i sold a few my old pipes on ebay which generated some cash flow
which in turn i used to stimulate the economy

and using blackfriday coupon codes here is what is heading my way
a couple falcons
i like those, where did you get 'em?
insufferable filter guy