Escudo Navy De Luxe

steamboat

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:00 pm If God is on your side and you happen upon a tin of Germain Royal Jersey Perique .... by all means snag it !!!!
I am in no way a Germain/Esoterica fan boy, even though i have a lot of there blends in my cellar, but that is one tin i need to try. I recently just cracked the Royal Jersey Latakia, and its def unique too. For some crazy reason i get an apple taste in it, its amazing. One thing i give Germain lots of credit, is for the way they cut there blends. Its my second favorite ribbon cut only behind Dunhill cuts.
Billy Joe

Davidoff Flake Medallions is rarely mentioned, but my favorite in that category.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

steamboat wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:14 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:00 pm If God is on your side and you happen upon a tin of Germain Royal Jersey Perique .... by all means snag it !!!!
I am in no way a Germain/Esoterica fan boy, even though i have a lot of there blends in my cellar, but that is one tin i need to try. I recently just cracked the Royal Jersey Latakia, and its def unique too. For some crazy reason i get an apple taste in it, its amazing. One thing i give Germain lots of credit, is for the way they cut there blends. Its my second favorite ribbon cut only behind Dunhill cuts.
Fan boys should have their knees bashed with a bat , just for fun . Germains cuts are pretty fantastic . The Royal Jersey Perique is also unique in an exceptional way , providing you want to taste some perique . I think maybe Germain has some unique flavors going on becsuse they sure are slow to get product out .. lol ... the tobacco in them might be 20 years old for Pete's sake
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
PipeProfessor

In all honesty, I was originally not a fan of Escudo. I purchased a tin, smoked a couple of bowls in various pipes, said meh, and put it away in the cellar. I revisited the now 4 year old tin this past August and WOW! It is a fabulous tobacco once aged. I regret not putting more of it away and am thus attempting to do so now.

It’s not mentioned very often but I find Comoy’s Cask No.4 to have similarities with Escudo. If you can find it in the bulk option pick some up to try (it’s also available in 3.5 oz paint can tin). It’s an excellent VaPer Flake. Cheers!
oubobcat

For something a little different than other Perique blends you might want to try
G.L. Pease Blackpoint. It is Latakia/Oriental/Virginia blend with some Perique added
Big fan for Kramer's Father Dempsey
Grimpeur

Nobody mentioned GH's Louisiana Flake!? And the variant of it that GH makes for Pease...Stonehenge, I think. LF is a good 'un, but I only came to like it after it had close to year in the jar.

For those of you who think more age is always better, well, maybe not. Several years ago I popped a 25 year old tin of McClelland's St. James Woods; all that time in the tin had well and truly tamed the Perique. I've had a similar experience with very old Escudo. To my taste, and I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion, over a decade in the tin and the blend loses the zip that only Perique provides. You might like it better, or not, but it will be different.

For the record, SG's St. James with a little age is a blend that I actually find exciting to smoke, I like it so much!
leacha
Founding Member

If you like fruity/plummy I'd say give D&R Rimboché AP a try. Add a little hydration a tight pack and its heaven.
Andrew Image
Whistlebritches

The two blends I find most similar to Escudo are Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls(now Peterson and I have not tried theirs yet),and Davidoff Flake Medallions.If I were to rank these three...…..well they would bounce around daily depending on my mood.I love all three,they each bring their A game to the table.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

On the old psf , I wrote a thread about benchmark blends and Escudo is " The " benchmark vaper . When Jennifer smokes it , I wont smoke for a bit because the aroma of it is priceless !! Its so damn good , it really is

Really , there's a number of similar blends and they all vary around what Escudo is

I'll 2nd Scottish Cake, as its excellent , though not a spun disc like Escudo

I think most all the spun discs are or have " Vaper in mind " . No doubt , try the bulk stuff .. like ps lbf , newminster and the MB discs

Davidoff medallions are good as is Dunhill

Wessex curly is outstanding and about as close to the original three nuns as can be, imho .

The newer current version of Three nuns is pretty good too

It seems like many of the producers that have brands in a tin are making a caper disc or similar . Comoy had one , as an example , though I've not smoked it
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
avid

Middle Earth wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:58 pm I have over 200 pounds of many different blends.
:o :shock:
insufferable filter guy