Musical instrument stuff

Presby John-Dave

Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:35 am
Presby John-Dave wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:33 am
Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:32 am
Never buy new.. they are out there. 8-)
Looks like I have a new 2024 goal.
Yes!
Back in the 80s when I played in my first band i plugged straight into a Sunn! I regret giving that amp away to a friend. Now I'm pissed. Apart from that amp I always used Ampeg.
Oh man... Sunn amps are dreamy! I'm sorry for your loss.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
Presby John-Dave

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:37 am
Presby John-Dave wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:27 am I need a new bass amp. I like simple, no fluff amps. If I can't dial in my tone with the bass, mid, and treble knobs, then I've got a problem. I don't want anything too crazy; I'm not playing Madison Square Garden.

Any recommendations?
Practice amp or amp head? Either way Ampeg and tubes are always solid. Old Bassman heads are nice too, you can jump the channels to punch up your mids. If you're looking to dial in and leave the tone set consider a Sansamp, I bypass the input on my amp and plug it into the effects return, the head powers it but doesn't color anything just powers it.
Tube is certainly preferred. Some of the classics are great if you can find them, but I'm also open to exploring handmade amps by hobbyists.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:37 am
Presby John-Dave wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:27 am I need a new bass amp. I like simple, no fluff amps. If I can't dial in my tone with the bass, mid, and treble knobs, then I've got a problem. I don't want anything too crazy; I'm not playing Madison Square Garden.

Any recommendations?
Practice amp or amp head? Either way Ampeg and tubes are always solid. Old Bassman heads are nice too, you can jump the channels to punch up your mids. If you're looking to dial in and leave the tone set consider a Sansamp, I bypass the input on my amp and plug it into the effects return, the head powers it but doesn't color anything just powers it.
Many many years ago I used one of 5 prototype SansAmp Bass Drivers. That box gave me such an amazing tone. The best Direct Box ever made.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:52 am Many many years ago I used one of 5 prototype SansAmp Bass Drivers. That box gave me such an amazing tone. The best Direct Box ever made.
They were bulletproof too, mine walked off years ago... f'ing musicians... eventually I got one of the newer ones, VT model, it's Ampeg and Sansamp in one. Great buy. That and my Markbass Compressore are all I use anymore. Do still want my Octoplus pedal back though.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Presby John-Dave wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:31 am
Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:28 am

Any recommendations?
Ampeg classic. Tubes.
Can't go wrong there. I just don't need 300w! They used to sell a 100w. I wish I had jumped on that 20 years ago.
Doesn't matter if it's home audio, car audio, or pro audio, more power than you *need* is always the best choice
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I played the Triangle and the wood block in the 4th grade. I was a percussionist.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:01 am
Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:52 am Many many years ago I used one of 5 prototype SansAmp Bass Drivers. That box gave me such an amazing tone. The best Direct Box ever made.
They were bulletproof too, mine walked off years ago... f'ing musicians... eventually I got one of the newer ones, VT model, it's Ampeg and Sansamp in one. Great buy. That and my Markbass Compressore are all I use anymore. Do still want my Octoplus pedal back though.
All I ever used was Ampeg heads and that bass driver and Sans Amp XXL pedal. I used to run 2 8x10s on both sides of the stage with an A/B box so I can control the level of Huge. My setup and the right front of house guy and it was game over. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:50 am I played the Triangle and the wood block in the 4th grade. I was a percussionist.
I bet you got the whole class dancing!
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:59 am
All I ever used was Ampeg heads and that bass driver and Sans Amp XXL pedal. I used to run 2 8x10s on both sides of the stage with an A/B box so I can control the level of Huge. My setup and the right front of house guy and it was game over. :lol:
Nice, bet with all those 10s it was like a unrelenting flurry of punchy ass mids. My favorite set up was an SVT with a couple 15s and 4x10s, that rig broke things that I had to pay for/replace.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Tsal wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:04 am
Piping Abe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:50 am I played the Triangle and the wood block in the 4th grade. I was a percussionist.
I bet you got the whole class dancing!
I much prefer to play the Jug and washboard these days Image