Cranberries and other foods that disappoint

Silver
Certified Codger

Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:25 pm Bull testicles in green sauce was somewhat disappointing.

Especially for the bulls.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:13 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:49 am
arturo7 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:06 am

If it is not to your taste, that's fine. No need to throw shade on those of us who enjoy it.

Uni is notoriously troublesome. The even the best suppliers are unable to deliver a consistent product. If there exists a sushi-ya that claims to specialize in uni they are completely full of shit.
I'm not throwing shade at those who enjoy it. I'm throwing shade at an apparent lack of comprehension
I had uni once, and it was wonderful. Like eating butter from the sea - it was sweet and soft and not at all chewy or off-putting. I'm sure that I ate it at the 'right' place, which was dock side as they were offloading boxes of freshly harvested urchins. Probably won't ever have that opportunity again.
Apparently I have to clarify. I chew everything. Or at least make the motion of chewing, it helps to spread flavors. The texture was quite soft, buttery / mousse like / watery pate-esque, and even more off-putting than the flavor of a traditional bottom feeder
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Puff nstuff

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:14 pm
pipedrum22 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:55 pm I have lobster about once every few years when I’m in Boston or near anyplace known for them. I’m always disappointed. Expensive. Bland. Boring…AND I have to fight to get the meat out. If I’m working for my food the juice better be worth the squeeze.
Im with you . North atlantic lobster is meh . Now, florida lobster is sweet and a way nicer texture and flavor . When in the NE .... eat the Haddock because its an amazing fish . I spent near 2 weeks in Maine , New Hampshire and only a couple days in Mass , which I absolutely did not like at the time . I had their lobster that first evening I arrived and I was disappointed . My waiter was surprised I said the florida lobster was superb . S I asked him what fresh fish do they do up here that's truly good and he recommended the haddock dishes ..... he was right ! I ate Haddock in various dishes for the next 11days and loved every moment of it . What a wonderful white light fish . Being a Floridian at the time , I was a red snapper , grouper and flounder guy . I hadnt ever had haddock and Im glad I had it when I could
Ruff, did you ever eat snook when you lived in Florida? When I lived there I remember swimming off Miami Beach and seeing snook out past the surf. I knew an Egyptian guy that would hook'em and roast or grill them, and they were delicious.
Also, conch fritters! OMG, I loved eating conch fritters in Miami.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:29 pm
pipedrum22 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:55 pm I have lobster about once every few years when I’m in Boston or near anyplace known for them. I’m always disappointed. Expensive. Bland. Boring…AND I have to fight to get the meat out. If I’m working for my food the juice better be worth the squeeze.
Im with you . North atlantic lobster is meh . Now, florida lobster is sweet and a way nicer texture and flavor . When in the NE .... eat the Haddock because its an amazing fish . I spent near 2 weeks in Maine , New Hampshire and only a couple days in Mass , which I absolutely did not like at the time . I had their lobster that first evening I arrived and I was disappointed . My waiter was surprised I said the florida lobster was superb . S I asked him what fresh fish do they do up here that's truly good and he recommended the haddock dishes ..... he was right ! I ate Haddock in various dishes for the next 11days and loved every moment of it . What a wonderful white light fish . Being a Floridian at the time , I was a red snapper , grouper and flounder guy . I hadnt ever had haddock and Im glad I had it when I could
Ruff, did you ever eat snook when you lived in Florida? When I lived there I remember swimming off Miami Beach and seeing snook out past the surf. I knew an Egyptian guy that would hook'em and roast or grill them, and they were delicious.
Oh hell yes . Im not sure if it was legal or not but we would " snag " them , is what we called it . Snook get prettylong and it was a blast and they are wonderful .There was another Snapper called a Mangrove snapper and it was the one I caught most . The Red Snapper is my favorite but the mangrove was just every damn where . Key West Grunts too ..... back then there wasnt a season or limit and I could catch them at will off the beach on the west florida coast . Just had to look for shadows off shore and if those shadows were rocks and not grass , youd bag grunts with sand fleas . Sand fleas are freaky little Crustaceans things that burrow in the receding surf along the beach . Im not sure if theres a season for grunts now or not . Its been 23 years since I fished for them . Another fish that was easily caught with sand fleas was Whitting , Whitting is an ok fish and youd catch them in the surf of the waves in the gulf with the fleas but the Grunts were much better .If I were on a barrier island , Id catch the whitting with fleas and then walk to the bay side of the island and use chunks of whitting to catch all kinds of stuff . Id catch sheephead too using barnacle meat . Those guys fight like a tank but theres not a ton of meat on them . They are good to eat though . Basically Im rambling but my point is that the " common " fish were good eating though the trinity was red snapper , grouper and flounder but I mostly fished common fish .
Sanibel island back in the 70's was where the " trinity ' was daily , along with blue crab and clams .Anytime I went there back then I never wanted to leave . I hated leaving and wished I could have lived there all year
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

@Puff nstuff .... " conch fritters! OMG, " ................yes , omg !!! I ate many and a ton of oysters . Youre killin me making me think of this stuff living in the freaking mountains :D
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Puff nstuff

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:56 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:29 pm

Oh hell yes . Im not sure if it was legal or not but we would " snag " them , is what we called it . Snook get prettylong and it was a blast and they are wonderful .There was another Snapper called a Mangrove snapper and it was the one I caught most . The Red Snapper is my favorite but the mangrove was just every damn where . Key West Grunts too ..... back then there wasnt a season or limit and I could catch them at will off the beach on the west florida coast . Just had to look for shadows off shore and if those shadows were rocks and not grass , youd bag grunts with sand fleas . Sand fleas are freaky little Crustaceans things that burrow in the receding surf along the beach . Im not sure if theres a season for grunts now or not . Its been 23 years since I fished for them . Another fish that was easily caught with sand fleas was Whitting , Whitting is an ok fish and youd catch them in the surf of the waves in the gulf with the fleas but the Grunts were much better .If I were on a barrier island , Id catch the whitting with fleas and then walk to the bay side of the island and use chunks of whitting to catch all kinds of stuff . Id catch sheephead too using barnacle meat . Those guys fight like a tank but theres not a ton of meat on them . They are good to eat though . Basically Im rambling but my point is that the " common " fish were good eating though the trinity was red snapper , grouper and flounder but I mostly fished common fish .
Sanibel island back in the 70's was where the " trinity ' was daily , along with blue crab and clams .Anytime I went there back then I never wanted to leave . I hated leaving and wished I could have lived there all year
Great stories, man - thanks! We really enjoyed ourselves living in Cocoanut Grove for about year and a half, until we didn't; then we moved to California where I was from. Great memories of doing all sorts of fun things there, though. South Florida is pretty great from December through April, but after that it was hard for us to take the constant humid heat.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Whatever @Puff nstuff and @Ruffinogold are talking about, I have no idea. I just like reading it on a lazy Christmas Eve. God bless us, everyone.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.