Tongue

Tsal
Forum Decorum

rlucas wrote: ↑Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:00 am Tongue.. ......it's not Rocky Mountain Oysters :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lamb fries..

The Troll Whisperer
Puff nstuff

We have a taco joint in town that always has tongue available, as well as cheek and the more generalized 'head.' I've had them all. I prefer cheek, but tongue tacos are pretty tasty.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. πŸ¦ͺ
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:29 am We have a taco joint in town that always has tongue available, as well as cheek and the more generalized 'head.' I've had them all. I prefer cheek, but tongue tacos are pretty tasty.
How tender is the cheek? Is that another cut that needs to be simmered for a long time?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

When I lived in Northern Iowa, once a Quarter the local Sale Barn would have some type of feed, oxtail stew, wild game or perhaps a nut fry (generally turkey fries). Good times and good memories . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

simplepipes wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:04 pm When I lived in Northern Iowa, once a Quarter the local Sale Barn would have some type of feed, oxtail stew, wild game or perhaps a nut fry (generally turkey fries). Good times and good memories . . .

-sp

What is a turkey nut fry? I'm not from Iowa. Is this an Iowa thing?

What is a Sale Barn, now that I'm at it?

I am not trying to be funny but I find this story interesting on many levels. Do you call all food feed, as in the feed was the oxtail stew and whatnot, or is the feed in that sentence something like collard greens, some roughage to go with the meat?

I know I am totally overthinking this as I comb through your story grammatically, but I find it very interesting to imagine what you are talking about. I have never been to Iowa. It is exotic to me.

What is a turkey nut fry?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Puff nstuff

Citizen B wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:36 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:29 am We have a taco joint in town that always has tongue available, as well as cheek and the more generalized 'head.' I've had them all. I prefer cheek, but tongue tacos are pretty tasty.
How tender is the cheek? Is that another cut that needs to be simmered for a long time?
Cheek is very tender, and yes it needs to cooked very slowly. It has a lot of collagen in it so it has the slightest gooeyness to it when it cools down, so it's best to eat good and hot. Texture is similar to that of oxtail or shank.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. πŸ¦ͺ
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have had it - but not recently. I do like it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:45 pm
simplepipes wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:04 pm When I lived in Northern Iowa, once a Quarter the local Sale Barn would have some type of feed, oxtail stew, wild game or perhaps a nut fry (generally turkey fries). Good times and good memories . . .

-sp

What is a turkey nut fry? I'm not from Iowa. Is this an Iowa thing? . . . Fried Turkey Testicles . . . Thanksgiving Capons involuntarily surrendered their jewels as young birds.

What is a Sale Barn, now that I'm at it? . . . Livestock Auction Barn (Center) with Cafe. You will have Sale Barns in the Ag Centers of Louisiana . . . similar to the fish buyers' warehouses.

I am not trying to be funny but I find this story interesting on many levels. Do you call all food feed, as in the feed was the oxtail stew and whatnot, or is the feed in that sentence something like collard greens, some roughage to go with the meat? . . . The event was always called a Feed . . . Turkey Fries, Oxtail Stew, Wild Game Feed, etc.

I know I am totally overthinking this as I comb through your story grammatically, but I find it very interesting to imagine what you are talking about. I have never been to Iowa. It is exotic to me. . . . Yes you overthink everything.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

simplepipes wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:50 pm

-sp

What is a turkey nut fry? I'm not from Iowa. Is this an Iowa thing? . . . Fried Turkey Testicles . . . Thanksgiving Capons involuntarily surrendered their jewels as young birds.

What is a Sale Barn, now that I'm at it? . . . Livestock Auction Barn (Center) with Cafe. You will have Sale Barns in the Ag Centers of Louisiana . . . similar to the fish buyers' warehouses.

I am not trying to be funny but I find this story interesting on many levels. Do you call all food feed, as in the feed was the oxtail stew and whatnot, or is the feed in that sentence something like collard greens, some roughage to go with the meat? . . . The event was always called a Feed . . . Turkey Fries, Oxtail Stew, Wild Game Feed, etc.

I know I am totally overthinking this as I comb through your story grammatically, but I find it very interesting to imagine what you are talking about. I have never been to Iowa. It is exotic to me. . . . Yes you overthink everything.

-sp
Are turkey's testicles external or internal? Birds don't have penises. They have cloacas.

I may think a lot but I have never thought about eating a bird's gonads. When you said a nut fry, I thought you were talking about frying things in peanut oil.

God bless Iowa!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

simplepipes wrote: ↑Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:50 pm

-sp

-sp
I wouldn't have anything to add either. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer