Greetings from Canada's Yukon Territory

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:27 pm See how he calls it Yukon Territory in the title? Us Americans just call it the Yukon. Maybe Canadians always say Territory to differentiate they are talking about the Canadian province and not the region in general. It has never occurred to me to ask a Canadian. I will ask the next one I meet.

It may take awhile.
They call it "Yukon Territory" because that's it's actual name. And a Canadian territory is distinctive from a province in it's relationship to the federal government. A territorial government receives it's powers from Parliament, while a province receives it's powers from the Constitution. (Lived in Canada many years as a young man)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:44 pm
(Lived in Canada many years as a young man)
Thank you for your field report from out in the wild.

I know they are different but I was wondering if they called it that. We don't call Washington, DC, the District of Columbia, usually. Do Canadians call Yukon Territory, YT?

Even someplace like the Virgin Islands or American Samoa, we just call them what they are. I know Canadians don't call it Saskatchewan Province, just Saskatechwan. I know this because I met a couple from the unfortunately pronounced capital of Regina.

What do you know about Nunavut. I know it is after your time but what was that territory called before it became a province? I cannot remember.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

This guy was here for 6 weeks back in 2019. Hasn't been seen since.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:25 pm This guy was here for 6 weeks back in 2019. Hasn't been seen since.
So he's smart. Are you going to hold that against him?

It wasn't me who revived this thread. It was this guy with one post.
Thenobleism wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:41 pm Hey, I'm also in Whitehorse. I found this site cause the only tobacco shop I know of in town is closed for a week! Seeing there is no other shop makes me sad.
I thought I might have done it,. I am innocent this time.

Anyhow, does anyone know anything about Nunavut? I met people who lived there once. A single tomato costs like fifteen dollars Canadian. I don't know what that is in real money but it sounds expensive.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:26 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:25 pm This guy was here for 6 weeks back in 2019. Hasn't been seen since.
So he's smart. Are you going to hold that against him?

It wasn't me who revived this thread. It was this guy with one post.
Thenobleism wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:41 pm Hey, I'm also in Whitehorse. I found this site cause the only tobacco shop I know of in town is closed for a week! Seeing there is no other shop makes me sad.
I thought I might have done it,. I am innocent this time.

Anyhow, does anyone know anything about Nunavut? I met people who lived there once. A single tomato costs like fifteen dollars Canadian. I don't know what that is in real money but it sounds expensive.
Members come and go. Whatever happens to them? I will always wonder..
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:53 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:44 pm
(Lived in Canada many years as a young man)
Thank you for your field report from out in the wild.

I know they are different but I was wondering if they called it that. We don't call Washington, DC, the District of Columbia, usually. Do Canadians call Yukon Territory, YT?

Even someplace like the Virgin Islands or American Samoa, we just call them what they are. I know Canadians don't call it Saskatchewan Province, just Saskatechwan. I know this because I met a couple from the unfortunately pronounced capital of Regina.

What do you know about Nunavut. I know it is after your time but what was that territory called before it became a province? I cannot remember.
I think YT is used as the mailing abbreviation for Yukon Territory. I've heard many Canadians refer to YT simply as "Yukon" or "the Yukon". As in, "I spent last summer working in the Yukon." As for Nunavut, I think it was a large part of the Northwest Territories before Parliament separated it and granted it to the Inuit people for independent government. It, too, is a "territory". The Northwest Territories (note that the name is plural, and that's correct) still exists, and it's still very large...it's just a lot smaller than it was before the Nunavut Act.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

This thread needs a bump.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:20 pm This thread needs a bump.
It’s an intro post from a guy who left long ago :lol:
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:17 pm
It’s an intro post from a guy who left long ago :lol:
Gone but not forgotten.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.