Pipe Knife vs. Czech Tool

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Had a Czech tool and found it to be kind of fiddly. So I use a pipe nail, and my Old Timer to maintain the cake.

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Whalehead King

houtenziel wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:38 pm Had a Czech tool and found it to be kind of fiddly. So I use a pipe nail, and my Old Timer to maintain the cake.

Is it my imagination or is the pipe nail slightly longer than the Old Timer pocket knife. You don't have them lined up exactly so it's hard for me to draw a bead on the scale here. I'm not asking for a new photo with a ruler included. If you could take the measurements yourself and publish them here, I'm interested in how much longer, if at all, the pipe nail is vs. the Old Timer. Perhaps it is an optical illusion, but we'll never know without more data.

Thanks. I don't want to be a pill about this, but I'm interested. Maybe someone else is, too. Maybe. :lurk:
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Whalehead King wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:39 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:38 pm Had a Czech tool and found it to be kind of fiddly. So I use a pipe nail, and my Old Timer to maintain the cake.

Is it my imagination or is the pipe nail slightly longer than the Old Timer pocket knife. You don't have them lined up exactly so it's hard for me to draw a bead on the scale here. I'm not asking for a new photo with a ruler included. If you could take the measurements yourself and publish them here, I'm interested in how much longer, if at all, the pipe nail is vs. the Old Timer. Perhaps it is an optical illusion, but we'll never know without more data.

Thanks. I don't want to be a pill about this, but I'm interested. Maybe someone else is, too. Maybe. :lurk:
Oh, so you are saying you need to scratch that OCD itch? I'm your huckleberry.
The pipe nail is 77mm and the Old timer is 73mm.

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm I waiting to see someone with the beautiful French Laguiole pipe knife which cost around $300.
The A.G. Russel pipe knives look nice
https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell ... US-CP24SWB
The A.G. Russel does look nice, it looks like something that my Gran Dad had back in the day. That French thing on the other hand would have to not only be able to take care of my pipe but also mow my lawn and fetch me a beer while I watch to warrant $300!!! :D
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
unregistered1

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm I waiting to see someone with the beautiful French Laguiole pipe knife which cost around $300.
I have looked a lot at them. We do have a set of steak knives from Laguiole and they're truly awesome.
But I'm very hesitant to acquire one as a pipe tool. Yeah, because of its price.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Whalehead King

houtenziel wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Oh, so you are saying you need to scratch that OCD itch? I'm your huckleberry.
The pipe nail is 77mm and the Old timer is 73mm.

At least now you know where your tape measure is. ;)
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Whalehead King wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:30 pm At least now you know where your tape measure is. ;)
I honestly considered using my dial caliper, but I thought that might show a little too much insight into my personality.
― Theodore Roosevelt