Tamper Making

simplepipes
Codger in Training

simplepipes wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:50 pm I tamp the edges toward the middle creating a dome if you will . . . for me most tampers have to wide of a head . . . I find the Czech tool a perfect tamping devise.

Yours has a nice character . . .

-sp
I think your hand carved tamper is far more appealing than a lathe turned tamper.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
ncrobb
Founding Member

simplepipes wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:26 am
simplepipes wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:50 pm Yours has a nice character . . .

-sp
I think your hand carved tamper is far more appealing than a lathe turned tamper.

-sp
I agree. This may not sound as I mean for it to, but your tamper has a rustic nature that “says” handmade. I like that. I have a lathe in my shop and use it when situation calls for it, but never use it as my primary shaping tool. I watch videos of knifemakers using grinding jigs and, well, in short..... it pisses me off. They might as well just chuck the blank in a CNC mill and push start.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Thank you @simplepipes @ncrobb. I grabbed some twigs from the backyard and went away.

The twig was naturally bent so it has a bent appearance. I plan on doing more and getting better. I find it very enjoyable. Hopefully throw a bunch in the next box pass.

I’m also gonna try and do some traditional wood carving/whittling wood spirits and such. It is a lot of fun and the material is free. Maybe once I feel I improved enough i’ll grab a nice piece of wood.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I like the rustic style and shape of the tamper very much. The twig stock is most fitting for this style.

I'm not a box pass participant but would certainly welcome a trade.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

simplepipes wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:11 pm I like the rustic style and shape of the tamper very much. The twig stock is most fitting for this style.

-sp
No worries! When I get around to making more i’ll let you know and shoot you one, free of charge!
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:14 pm
simplepipes wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:11 pm I like the rustic style and shape of the tamper very much. The twig stock is most fitting for this style.

-sp
No worries! When I get around to making more i’ll let you know and shoot you one, free of charge!
It would certainly be appreciated and treasured.

-sp
Ronv69
Founding Member

I like found and whittled tampers, but Snake is an artist with his lathe and designs. He combines different and rare woods with interesting shapes.
God and Texas!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:17 pm I like found and whittled tampers, but Snake is an artist with his lathe and designs. He combines different and rare woods with interesting shapes.
I dig Snake Tampers. But he rarely does a pick. And I only use tampers with a pick.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:17 pm I like found and whittled tampers, but Snake is an artist with his lathe and designs. He combines different and rare woods with interesting shapes.
I dig Snake Tampers. But he rarely does a pick. And I only use tampers with a pick.
Same and if I have to unscrew something to get to a pick I don't like it. I'm next level lazy
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ncrobb
Founding Member

His tampers are nice, just not my style.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett