Abe’s Review: Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

One of the most popular blends, outside of the ordinary.

Barbeque, Woody, Spicy. Not Spicy in a painful way, when it hurts and burns the tongue, more when it is just right, a steady spice that envelops the palate.

If you want to try DFK, you smoke this blend and you’ll see if you like it. If you don’t at first, keep it and try it again later, sometimes years later. Not because it ages well, but because you will like it. It is so different and unique to other DFK blends.

It is also sweet. You could say too sweet, depending on what your used to smoking. This was first impression years ago.

Now more acclimated to stronger and bolder blends, this fits right in. This is well done. The HH line by Mac Baren is their best stuff. Just fantastic blending of the leaf. Wonderful full flavors.

Great Ready Rubbed cut, it is the flake version that is mechanically seperated.

Burns slow, moisture is there. When it goes out, just relight the top or tap the top with the pick of your tamper. Benefits from ashing half way through.

It’s good stuff. You’ll get your moneys worth with this tobacco.
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Now this is a review style I can get behind. Unlike some of the drivel on tobaccoreviews that include tasting notes that no one can actually relate to. Well done!
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
ric03

I only ever tried MB Original Choice. I liked it but Mac Baren are hard to get nowadays here. This sounds really good, sounds like a good coffee time smoke, I'll keep my eye out for it.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Yep, it's good stuff.
God and Texas!
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:40 pm One of the most popular blends, outside of the ordinary.

Barbeque, Woody, Spicy. Not Spicy in a painful way, when it hurts and burns the tongue, more when it is just right, a steady spice that envelops the palate.

If you want to try DFK, you smoke this blend and you’ll see if you like it. If you don’t at first, keep it and try it again later, sometimes years later. Not because it ages well, but because you will like it. It is so different and unique to other DFK blends.

It is also sweet. You could say too sweet, depending on what your used to smoking. This was first impression years ago.

Now more acclimated to stronger and bolder blends, this fits right in. This is well done. The HH line by Mac Baren is their best stuff. Just fantastic blending of the leaf. Wonderful full flavors.

Burns slow, moisture is there. When it goes out, just relight the top or tap the top with the pick of your tamper. Benefits from ashing half way through.

Well done . . . and . . . you actually paid for the tobacco you reviewed . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
ncrobb
Founding Member

Nicely done and nicely stated. This is top on my list of pipe tobacco that I always have on hand. Flakes are great but the ready rubbed is perfect out of the bag. Great review.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Mmmm ODF
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:40 pm One of the most popular blends, outside of the ordinary.

Doesn't sound like my sorta thang, but bro, this is a good review.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Thank you Gents, I really appreciate it. A lot of times while smoking I basically think about doing a review. But I will only write it if i’m smoking it at that time because that is what i’m experiencing. So I had an oppurtunity to sit and write this down for once.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

simplepipes wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:25 am

Well done . . . and . . . you actually paid for the tobacco you reviewed . . .

-sp
Ha ! Bingo :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.