Reginal Beer back in the day

Puff nstuff

daveinlax wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:38 am
Puff nstuff wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:42 am When I went back to Wisconsin as a youngin' with my parents, Dad used to always seek out Heileman's Old Style and Special Export.
I live a mile from the former G Heileman brewery. Heileman grew by (and was hated for) buying up regional brands. They suffered the same fate when they were bought up and the brewery closed. The brewery is not the showplace of its heyday but survives as a contract brewer owned by a venture capital company. As of last year they are brewing Old Style again for who ever owns the brand these days.
That's pretty cool. I still remember driving by the old Brew 102 brewery on trips to DTLA - it's long gone, but not forgotten!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Puff nstuff

Ronv69 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:50 pm Pearl and Lone Star were popular when I was a kid. Saw a lot of Budweiser ads, but I don't remember anyone drinking it. Shiner was just in the central Texas German towns back then. I mean, the people who lived there spoke German as their first language. Saw a lot of Falstaff. Strohs was the first beer that I ever liked. Abita is coming on strong lately in Louisiana and East Texas, but I haven't had one. I first had Mexican beer in 1969 and I was impressed. It was a Tres Equis. The second one I added the salt and lime. My favorite beer at the moment is Dos Equies Amber. I can't say why 2 Xs is better than 3Xs.
When I lived in Mexico we had a Cuautemoc brewery just outside of town, where they brewed Bohemia, Dos Equis, Indio, and whatever other beers that conglomerate owns. The smell when they were brewing was amazing, intoxicating in and of itself. I heard in the old days they brewed a stronger 3x but I never came across it. However, at Christmas time we could get another of their products, Noche Buena, which was only brewed for the holidays and was sooo delicious, like a stronger, darker Modelo Negro. Can't find that anymore, unfortunately.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:46 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:50 pm Pearl and Lone Star were popular when I was a kid. Saw a lot of Budweiser ads, but I don't remember anyone drinking it. Shiner was just in the central Texas German towns back then. I mean, the people who lived there spoke German as their first language. Saw a lot of Falstaff. Strohs was the first beer that I ever liked. Abita is coming on strong lately in Louisiana and East Texas, but I haven't had one. I first had Mexican beer in 1969 and I was impressed. It was a Tres Equis. The second one I added the salt and lime. My favorite beer at the moment is Dos Equies Amber. I can't say why 2 Xs is better than 3Xs.
When I lived in Mexico we had a Cuautemoc brewery just outside of town, where they brewed Bohemia, Dos Equis, Indio, and whatever other beers that conglomerate owns. The smell when they were brewing was amazing, intoxicating in and of itself. I heard in the old days they brewed a stronger 3x but I never came across it. However, at Christmas time we could get another of their products, Noche Buena, which was only brewed for the holidays and was sooo delicious, like a stronger, darker Modelo Negro. Can't find that anymore, unfortunately.
They sure know how to make beer. I was in Monterrey for week in 69 at my friend's uncle's house on top of a hill overlooking the city. These people were rich. They had an engagement party for a friend and several Mexican TV stars were there. Greatist Mariachi band ever too. A couple of nights we hung out with the mariachis in a square where as long as you had money, they would play whatever you wanted. One girl that was on TV sat on my lap and sang. It was the first time I ever thought I could live somewhere else. And then I saw Mexico City. Anyway, good beer all over.
God and Texas!
Puff nstuff

Ronv69 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:57 pm
They sure know how to make beer. I was in Monterrey for week in 69 at my friend's uncle's house on top of a hill overlooking the city. These people were rich. They had an engagement party for a friend and several Mexican TV stars were there. Greatist Mariachi band ever too. A couple of nights we hung out with the mariachis in a square where as long as you had money, they would play whatever you wanted. One girl that was on TV sat on my lap and sang. It was the first time I ever thought I could live somewhere else. And then I saw Mexico City. Anyway, good beer all over.
Great stuff!

I lived there for about 10 years; I have some stories.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Puff nstuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:40 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:57 pm

Great stuff!

I lived there for about 10 years; I have some stories.
I'd like to hear them!
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I visited Tiajuana while doing time at Naval Amphibious base Coronado for the Navy . I might have a few stories too
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.