I hesitate to call this 'The Kirsten Thread.'

Whalehead King

Well, one good thing you can say about a Kirsten pipe, and I have plenty of good things to say about mine, is that is conforms to the laws of gravity.

It's a breezy day in New Orleans today. We have a 30% chance of thunderstorms, a figure which tells me that it's not going to rain, and so far we've only had a light drizzle. The threat of a downpour has kicked the wind up a couple of notches, though.

I was reading the newspaper outside (in unimpeded sunshine) and put it on the table unattended so that I could get up and take care of some chore. When I got back, the pages of the Wall Street Journal were scattered willy-nilly all over the garden. Hmmm. This paper needed a paperweight.

I reassembled the newspaper and went into my shed to find something suitable. Answer: My trusty Kirsten. Since the body is aluminum, it won't rust if deluged by Louisiana-sized raindrops. After a half hour of my not paying attention, my newspaper and pipe are just as I left them.

Thanks, Kirsten!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
9 Iron
Founding Member

Well at least they're good for something. They don't smoke tobacco worth a darn. At least the one I had didn't. I think I bought and sold mine in the same week. But, to be fair, YMMV. Cool looking paperweights though.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Its like my Ma used to say .... " There's someone for everyone " . Some things dont make much sense , or dont seem to , but make sense somehow . Im not gaga over a metal pipe , though I do like the old Kaywoodie metal pipes . The Kirsten is a bit odd . But really , a metal pipe is odd in a way to begin with . Its like ordering Christina Hendricks and she arrives in a sealed wooden box instead of a fishnets walking through the door , which makes me wonder if that will ever happen one day ... via robots . Suddenly , I want to live long enough to order a Christina Hendricks . Then theres the wife .. hmmm , never mind the robot
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

My Kirstens are good smokers. They are a little heavy and the bent one has an acrylic bit. The bowls are way to small for me. I still like them.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
9 Iron
Founding Member

If mine had a good acrylic bit and maybe a more open airway then I might have liked it. I liked the idea of it, but the bit was pretty rough and the little tube attached to it that the smoke went through was really too small to carry enough volume of air. I considered trying one of the more recent productions being made but they sure are pricey. Especially when you consider you can get a Falcon stem for under $20.
Whalehead King

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:12 am My Kirstens are good smokers. They are a little heavy and the bent one has an acrylic bit. The bowls are way to small for me. I still like them.
I got the large bowl when I ordered mine.

I like a wee pipe on occasion (Yello Bole Pug) so small bowls don't bother me. The large bore Kirsten holds as much as any of my other 'standard' pipes.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

OK. I've been looking at Kirstens. They ain't cheap, new or used. I'm on the hunt for a full bent one which are more expensive on the secondary market than straight for whatever reason. And I'm going to get a tub of M79 one of these days.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!