RIP Richard Overton

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

The oldest living veteran of WWII has died at 112. He was quite a guy - smoked 12 cigars a day, etc.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/28/68064371 ... ies-at-112
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Middle Earth

12 Cigars a day for 94 years
This how I will remember him, with a cigar and a Tommy Gun

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

He was a cool dude. I remember watching the video piece on him, and his outlook on life and the contentment he had really made me take a hard look at myself.
I would say that I am sad that he is gone, but with the amazing and long life he lived, I can't help but feel like the fella deserved some rest. RIP.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Middle Earth

He attributed his long life to God, cigars and whiskey
He was a God fearing Christian man and I will see him in Heaven
A great American
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

The guy was a stand-up American. [mention]Kevin Keith[/mention] was the first person to tell me about him, and I watched a mini documentary on him. I have talked about him many times since.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Cappadoc

Kind of sad, but I guess most goals have been met by 112 years or never will be.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

He was a great man and I cannot imagine what 112 years of life has given him. He traveled a long road, Rest in Peace.
The Troll Whisperer
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

This is a loss for sure. After reading the article I see a lot of my grandfather's experiences and characteristics in Mr. Overton. My fraternal grandpa was a WWII Army vet. At some point he pulled the long straw and was put on "beach clean up" duty after D-Day... didn't talk about it much, as one might expect. My maternal grandpa was a WWII Air Force vet. He was gunner in a bomber that was shot down and spent time in a POW camp in Austria. He came back severely malnourished I'm told, and he didn't talk about it much, either. Both passed in their mid to late 80's and I remember them both as "manly" men. It was a different time and these men were clearly a different breed.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

We in the greater Austin area were blessed to have Richard in our community, he was truly one of the "greatest generation" and he'll be missed greatly. Once asked what his secret was for such a long life he replied... "good whiskey and good cigars". ;) :D
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!