Your Favorite Blends of 2018

Bamarick

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 am
Bamarick wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:59 am

Fr_Tom, is this your Double Down? https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by ... _id=150303
That is it. I have placed 3 or 4 orders for it - maybe 10 lbs total. The cut varies from batch to batch. The taste varies a little. I just don't care if I have to rub out a few bits of flake or I get more fish flake and less ribbon. I really like it a lot. If you want consistent in a milder (also very good) burley, SPRT is the thing at this price point.
Thanks!
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Billy Joe

I had some Kendal Plug sent to me by StompyMcFat, wow, loved it and promptly bought more (When I found it). Also, Boswell's Premium Burley is something I really stocked up with.
slowroll
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:08 pm
slowroll wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:09 pm I did have a revelation (not the tobacco) in 2018. I discovered HH ODF and am now buying it 5 lb at a time. A revelation because i've been a Balkan blend smoker for 50 years. The 2 I smoke most are ODF and C&D Engine 99, followed by HH Vintage Syrian.
How much of the Vintage Syrian do you have left? Have you tried the new version?
I've got about 2 1/2 lb left. I haven't tried the New one yet. I do have a tin, So I will soon. What's your opinion of it, @Fr_Tom ?
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

slowroll wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:09 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:08 pm
How much of the Vintage Syrian do you have left? Have you tried the new version?
I've got about 2 1/2 lb left. I haven't tried the New one yet. I do have a tin, So I will soon. What's your opinion of it, @Fr_Tom ?
Vintage Syrian is one I really like a lot. I used to smoke it every day in my GBD prince that seems to have been made for it. As the Syrian dried up, I put a couple of pounds back and stopped smoking it for the time being. I have not tried the new stuff, but I need to. I am waiting for JimInks to weigh in perhaps.

I will add a tin to an order before long. I was hoping to get some insight from someone who had smoked a lot of Vintage Syrian and liked it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
slowroll
Founding Member

As soon as I try it, I'll let you know Fr_Tom.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
PipeProfessor

My Top 5 for 2018 were as follows:
C&D Professor
C&D Star of the East Flake
Dunhill Flake
G. L. Pease Westminster
Boswell’s Titus

If you want to read in depth about each just click my blog link below. Otherwise, this post will have to suffice.
Maynard

Mixture no 79, Sugar Barrel (match), Granger, Field and Stream (match) Lane Ready Rubbed.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Almost forgot to mention, in addition to my favorites for 2018, a new one I tried and liked was CAO Eileen's Dream. I haven't purchased a tin, yet, but I certainly enjoyed the samples I received from a local who bought a pipe from me.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Doctor Willet

Longshanks wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 am Almost forgot to mention, in addition to my favorites for 2018, a new one I tried and liked was CAO Eileen's Dream.
That was my first tinned pipe tobacco. I must admit, the shamrock and Irish motif sold me, but it was the only aromatic out of a handful that I liked when I first tried smoking a briar. I think I still have some...hmm.
And miles to go before I sleep.
Doctor Willet

My major revelation of 2018 was that I went from hating Lakeland essence to absolutely obsessing over it. Unfortunately due to availability (or lack thereof), I only smoke GH flakes occasionally. Without putting a lot of thought into it, these are some favorites and most often smoked blends from 2018.

GH Louisiana Perique Flake, Rum Flake, Cherry Cream Flake, Grasmere Flake, Sweet Maple Twist, Sweet Coconut Twist.

Drucquer & Sons Trafalgar, and a bit of Blairgowrie. Looking forward to trying the rest of the line in 2019.

Erinmore Flake
Escudo
Elizabethan Mixture (as I wipe a tear)

C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Yorktown
C&D Kajun Kake
C&D Riverboat Gambler

I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one or two that I loved, but these are the ones that came to mind at the moment. 2018 was the year that pipe smoking seemed to finally click for me. It feels like natural thing now, and I don't have to try hard to have a good pipe.
And miles to go before I sleep.