What's Going on With the Gawith Hoggarth & Co?

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Islayphile wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm
Islayphile wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm The same sort of thing happened with Esoterica and Germain.

Penzance and Special Latakia Flake were both highly praised and before you knew it, all blends in their lineups were sold out and are perpetually out of stock.
Unfortunately the fact is that this is a far better fate than the alternative. Remember not even a year ago when McClelland and Dunhill were on top? Hedge your bets.
Yes, sadly you are correct.
Seems sad to be correct more and more lately. I'd say that the cynics are winning but that's too optimistic.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Well you don't have to worry about me buying up all of the GH I can find... You fellas have fun once the new shipment starts hitting shelves
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 pm
houtenziel wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm I need to grow out a thin shaggy lookin' beard, get some hipster clothes like the kids do these days. I could start a Youtube channel called "Contemplative Piper" where I speak without contractions, and gush over blends I actually hate as being complex and nuanced, with synergistic incense qualities.
This is a thing? I don't youtube/myspace/whatever so I'm out of the loop. Maybe I'll start one, but in real life I speak mostly with contractions and don't use pronouns other than to initiate a change in subject. Also I don't show up on film.
It is sadly a thing, yes. It's my estimation that between Youtube, Reddit, and Facebook groups, you'd account for probably 90% of the current "unicorn" status of various blends that were previously commonplace.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Lord Guyrox wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 pm Anyone knows why there is this generalized shortage with this brand? Ennerdale, Rum and Best Brown # 2 are favorites of mine.
I have never seen this happening to such an extent and for so long.
People who cellar are buying everything they can get their hands on whether they smoke it or not. McClellan is gone, Dunhill and a few others are on their way out so it makes sense to them.
The Troll Whisperer
slowroll
Founding Member

Maybe it has to do with the merger with Sam Gawith and consolidating production.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm
Lord Guyrox wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 pm Anyone knows why there is this generalized shortage with this brand? Ennerdale, Rum and Best Brown # 2 are favorites of mine.
People who cellar are buying everything they can get their hands on whether they smoke it or not. McClellan is gone, Dunhill and a few others are on their way out so it makes sense to them.
I see this scenario all the time. People will blindly buy stuff to use for trade to get what they want or they'll sell it at a markup.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 pm
I see this scenario all the time. People will blindly buy stuff to use for trade to get what they want or they'll sell it at a markup.
I'm all for anyone who can accomplish an impressive cellar to have at it, not my money, if I could I would. But when the intent is to buy it all up so that you have the upperhand in the secondary market it's a problem as you're messing with my tobacco now. It's this shelf cleaning behavior that drives the secondary market and creates inflated prices because it's what the market will bear and many fools have plenty to part with and that only exacerbates the situation. Just as bad are the people who glom onto whatever hype and blindly hoard pound after pound of blends they've never had leaving nothing for those without the budget to pounce the day they're in stock. Maybe just once ever I'd like to be able to order Kendal Plug. Things get wiped out in minutes, I've seen it countless times. There are not many pipe smokers, this is a very small niche, yet it seems like such a struggle to get anything quite often. Drugstore Burley though, that's always here and better not go away or I'll go from being bothered/amused/frustrated with people to full bore fed up ftw apeshit.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I always thought GH Balkan Mixture was one of pipe smoking's best kept secrets and if people knew how good it was you wouldn't be able to find it anymore.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Maynard

houtenziel wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm I need to grow out a thin shaggy lookin' beard, get some hipster clothes like the kids do these days. I could start a Youtube channel called "Contemplative Piper" where I speak without contractions, and gush over blends I actually hate as being complex and nuanced, with synergistic incense qualities.
Funny but true. Great post.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 am Drugstore Burley though, that's always here...
It is a good thing I like it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017