Latest Pipe Purchase 2019

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:56 pm Still paring down my rotation but cobs don't count, plus it was only a few bucks. Can't pass up an older MM with hardwood plug, Bamboo shank, and Vulcanite stem, they're just great.

You know.. I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about how my main beef with cobs is the soft birch shank. It's kind of a double edged sword- it sucks up all the funk, and is probably at least part of why cobs are dry.. But man if they aren't the most frustrating thing to clean if you are OCD like I am. Seems like using something harder/less permeable like bamboo would basically cure that gripe. I've been tempted to inner-tube one of my cobs to see if it makes any difference.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:56 pm Still paring down my rotation but cobs don't count, plus it was only a few bucks. Can't pass up an older MM with hardwood plug, Bamboo shank, and Vulcanite stem, they're just great.

You know.. I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about how my main beef with cobs is the soft birch shank. It's kind of a double edged sword- it sucks up all the funk, and is probably at least part of why cobs are dry.. But man if they aren't the most frustrating thing to clean if you are OCD like I am. Seems like using something harder/less permeable like bamboo would basically cure that gripe. I've been tempted to inner-tube one of my cobs to see if it makes any difference.
I've made Briar shanks for cobs, that or Bamboo with a solid stem(Vulcanite, Acrylic, Bakelite, etc.) is my preference. Can't afford a Radio so no cob shanks here. If you decide to line the shank go with stainless.
Hitzy

Hopefully this is my last new pipe.... getting worse then my gun collection.
Maynard

Image picked up this new Yello-Bole Nova Brylon at a thrift store she wanted $10.00 but couldn’t find the box so said you can have it for $8.00 I gave her $10.00. It’s a nice shape and I’m sure it will get hotter than 700 hells but it looked cool then she gave me a Dr Grabo bowl (bent) and a Darby bowl both worth searching for stems .
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Maynard wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:29 pm Image picked up this new Yello-Bole Nova Brylon at a thrift store she wanted $10.00 but couldn’t find the box so said you can have it for $8.00 I gave her $10.00. It’s a nice shape and I’m sure it will get hotter than 700 hells but it looked cool then she gave me a Dr Grabo bowl (bent) and a Darby bowl both worth searching for stems .
Gotta love thrift stores. I used to cruise around to consignment and thrift stores when I was traveling for work, and I'd find great looking pipes in fair condition for next to nothing. And if they had a cake, they usually discounted the thing to dirt cheap.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Hitzy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 am Hopefully this is my last new pipe.... getting worse then my gun collection.
Nice Jobey! Filtered? French?
Hitzy

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 pm
Hitzy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 am Hopefully this is my last new pipe.... getting worse then my gun collection.
Nice Jobey! Filtered? French?
Yes to both.
The camera didn't capture the color very well, it's quite light, almost virginia tobacco and cork colored. Quite nice actually.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Maynard wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:29 pm Image picked up this new Yello-Bole Nova Brylon at a thrift store she wanted $10.00 but couldn’t find the box so said you can have it for $8.00 I gave her $10.00. It’s a nice shape and I’m sure it will get hotter than 700 hells but it looked cool then she gave me a Dr Grabo bowl (bent) and a Darby bowl both worth searching for stems .
You might be surprised at how cool it smokes compared to what youre figuring . I know i was . I'll have to check but I think i have the exact same one
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Gorgeous acorn !! Enjoy that one !!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
kxg

I Picked up 5 tins of Ashton Artisan's Blend from Tobaccopipes.com. It was on such a good sale that I had to add a Falcon Classic Chrome Slight Bent Stem with a Dublin Smooth Bowl in order to get the free shipping. You always want to get the free shipping, right?