Cricket fights

Whalehead King

Cockfighting has been banned in Louisiana since 2007. I think LA was the last state to ban it. It still goes on illicitly. It's part of Cajun culture.

I'm doing some research on cricket fighting. It's a popular sport in China and, since 2007, in New Orleans, too. There isn't a lot of research to do. Only a couple of articles in English. Since I don't read Chinese (surprised, aren't you?) I'm limited to a couple of academic resources and then just what I can gather on the street, talking to people.

Here is one of the few cricket fight videos I've been able to find, in the name of science, naturally:

This is a sport I can get behind. I don't like to gamble, but gambling is usually involved in these matches, also naturally. You can feel your pulse pounding waiting for the outcome, can't you?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I know about PETA. How long do you think it will be before we have a People for the Ethical treatment of Crickets? There must be vegans out there losing sleep over cricket fighting.

I wonder if they use fresh crickets for each match or if a champion goes on to fight again the next day?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 pm I know about PETA. How long do you think it will be before we have a People for the Ethical treatment of Crickets? There must be vegans out there losing sleep over cricket fighting.

I wonder if they use fresh crickets for each match or if a champion goes on to fight again the next day?
It's a blood sport without blood. The loser is the one who stops fighting and tries to run away. It's all very interesting, if you're into this kind of thing.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

tell me more
ever forward
Whalehead King

arturo7 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pmtell me more
Rusticated

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 pm I know about PETA. How long do you think it will be before we have a People for the Ethical treatment of Crickets? There must be vegans out there losing sleep over cricket fighting.

I have a PETA sticker on the back of my truck People Eating Tasty Animals. I don't know why I get all the nasty looks...I support PETA by eating LOTS of tasty animals :D
Whalehead King

I lost two dollars on a cricket fight last night. My bookie was very happy to collect my bet, I'm sure.

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Whalehead King wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 pm I lost two dollars on a cricket fight last night. My bookie was very happy to collect my bet, I'm sure.

I love how they have them in a little octagon. Cricket MMA. Just need a little Cricket Bruce Buffer wearing a bad suit and you'd probably be able to sell some PPVs.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

2 Crickets enter, 1 Cricket leave!
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Fighting Crickets?!? :facepalm:
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!