I'm out of tobacco

Whalehead King

Finck Cigar Company out of Texas offers a subscription service for their house brand cigars. http://www.finckcigarcompany.com

Their website being what it is, in true old company fashion, doesn't make this service apparent. You have to click around to find it.

I subscribed for about two years but ended up with so many unsmoked cigars that I cancelled, and I've just been ordering new boxes as needed. The other thing I didn't like about the service is that my tastes changed over the course of my subscription. While we all have blends we like, do we smoke them several times a day, day after day, for a year? Some, yes, but a change up is nice once in a while.

The monotony of the same blend over and over and over and over again got to be, well, monotonous and I wasn't enjoying the smokes as much. I know: 1st world problem and one that would never have occurred to a codger back in the day when most men only had one pipe and one tobacco to buy at the corner store.

I don't mind going to a B&M, in fact, I prefer it for the chance to chitchat with everyone but when I see the price of a tin at my local B&Ms, I'm all, like, WHOA! Where did that price come from? Call it the Amazon effect. I know a proprietor has to pay rent and staff and taxes and whatnot, and that they move less product than a big online retailer, but WHOA! And, I am someone who is not usually price sensitive. I don't clip coupons or wait for sales. I just buy what I want when I want it.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

I am going to place an order tonight to ensure that this will
NEVER ever HAPPEN HERE

and You should really join in on the T.A.D. support group
it is a shame to see fellow pipe smokers fall victim to a lifetime supply of MM Cigars
:facepalm:

:lol:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

rekamepip wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:33 pm I am going to place an order tonight to ensure that this will
NEVER ever HAPPEN HERE

and You should really join in on the T.A.D. support group
it is a shame to see fellow pipe smokers fall victim to a lifetime supply of MM Cigars
:facepalm:

:lol:
Better safe than sorry...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Whalehead King wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 pm Finck Cigar Company out of Texas offers a subscription service for their house brand cigars. http://www.finckcigarcompany.com

Their website being what it is, in true old company fashion, doesn't make this service apparent. You have to click around to find it.

I subscribed for about two years but ended up with so many unsmoked cigars that I cancelled, and I've just been ordering new boxes as needed. The other thing I didn't like about the service is that my tastes changed over the course of my subscription. While we all have blends we like, do we smoke them several times a day, day after day, for a year? Some, yes, but a change up is nice once in a while.

The monotony of the same blend over and over and over and over again got to be, well, monotonous and I wasn't enjoying the smokes as much. I know: 1st world problem and one that would never have occurred to a codger back in the day when most men only had one pipe and one tobacco to buy at the corner store.

I don't mind going to a B&M, in fact, I prefer it for the chance to chitchat with everyone but when I see the price of a tin at my local B&Ms, I'm all, like, WHOA! Where did that price come from? Call it the Amazon effect. I know a proprietor has to pay rent and staff and taxes and whatnot, and that they move less product than a big online retailer, but WHOA! And, I am someone who is not usually price sensitive. I don't clip coupons or wait for sales. I just buy what I want when I want it.
There's a B&M in my area that I visited a couple of times. Their tins of C&D were $19.95 ea plus tax etc. Like you I understand the owners have overhead but that's nuts
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Whalehead King wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 pm ...
If I could find a way to never, ever order anything online again, that would be my preference - even If I had to pay 50-100% more for whatever I am buying. I actually do pay around 100% more for some Lane and Sutliff bulks at my local head shop, just to make sure they keep carrying it. I do the same thing, paying 5.99 for a pouch of PA at Walmart, when I could easily find it for around $3.50 online. At a certain point a lot of these local shops/tobacconists stopped trying to compete with online retailer's crazy low prices and either folded or changed their focus to RYO/E-Cig or Cigars. This change has made me see that the low online prices come with a price of their own: They are killing an old tradition of building relationships at your "local shop" by running them out of business, and forcing folks online because they have nowhere else to go(this is happening to more than just pipe B&M's too).
Here in Oregon, I have to drive about 120 miles to reach the nearest proper B&M that actually sells tins and pipes. They are pretty much the only place left that really caters to Pipe smokers, and they are even primarily a Cigar shop. Now that there is nothing left here because everyone just buys online, they will inevitably pass some stupid legislation preventing the shipment of tobacco from online retailers entirely (like our neighbors to the north, Washington), and then we will have nothing.. We will be the victims of our own thrift.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
leacha
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:45 pm P&C seems to have this option in the information. I am not sure how to use it though.

Auto Deliver Information

If you know what you want and when you want it, then Auto Deliver was made just for you.

Get your favorite items delivered to your doorstep automatically, no logging on and logging in required. It’s easy, it’s convenient, and you can customize the whole thing to suit your needs. Want your item every week, every month, or every two months? No problem. Set it up to ship as frequently as you want, and update your preferences easily whenever you need to.

Let’s break it down:

Choose your favorite item for Auto Deliver.
Enter a quantity and click the Auto Deliver button.
Add your item to an existing Auto Deliver or create a new one...it’s up to you.

If creating a new Auto Deliver

Create a nickname for your Auto Deliver (pick whatever you want!)
Set your preferences – address and frequency.
Select a payment type.
Review your Auto Deliver to ensure accuracy.
Click “Create” and wait for your favorite stuff to get delivered. It’s easy, peasy.
I've seriously considered doing this but P&Cs long and consistent periods of Out of Stock has stopped me.
Andrew Image
leacha
Founding Member

leacha wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:45 pm P&C seems to have this option in the information. I am not sure how to use it though.

Auto Deliver Information

If you know what you want and when you want it, then Auto Deliver was made just for you.

Get your favorite items delivered to your doorstep automatically, no logging on and logging in required. It’s easy, it’s convenient, and you can customize the whole thing to suit your needs. Want your item every week, every month, or every two months? No problem. Set it up to ship as frequently as you want, and update your preferences easily whenever you need to.

Let’s break it down:

Select a payment type.
Click “Create” and wait for your favorite stuff to get delivered. It’s easy, peasy.
I've seriously considered doing this but P&Cs long and consistent periods of Out of Stock has stopped me.
Funny! I don't even see the Auto Delivery option anymore!
Andrew Image
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

leacha wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am
leacha wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 am

Auto Deliver Information

Let’s break it down:

Select a payment type.
Funny! I don't even see the Auto Delivery option anymore!
There is the out of stock issue, and I can't find the button either. I just buy big when sales are on, and try to kep an eye on inventory.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Arkansas Paul

I have only been smoking a pipe for about 4 years, and I don't consider my cellar 'deep'. I have seen many cellars that dwarf what I have.
I have probably 8-10 pounds of bulk tobacco and probably 50-60 unopened tins.

However, your post has scared me so badly, I think I'll place another order..............you know..................just to be safe.
"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
-Albert Einstein, 1950

"It has been my experience that those who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-Abe Lincoln
SasquatchoftheEast

Arkansas Paul wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 am I have only been smoking a pipe for about 4 years, and I don't consider my cellar 'deep'. I have seen many cellars that dwarf what I have.
I have probably 8-10 pounds of bulk tobacco and probably 50-60 unopened tins.

However, your post has scared me so badly, I think I'll place another order..............you know..................just to be safe.
My Cellar is 8 tins! I think I need to get your level! :thumbs:

-Squatch