Benchmark Burleys

Billy Joe

I don't know if Wessex Burley was mentioned, but it is great, too.
So many to choose from. Boswell's ( not known for their burleys) has a Premium Burley that is out of sight. It is also great as a base for home blending.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I guess is was around 1981. I was smoking a Dr Grabow Viking in those days and a couple of other Grabows. I really didn't pay attention back then to the line of Grabow other than the Viking...those were so cool to me. Two of my friends whose dads smoked pipes smoked Vikings and a Viking was the first pipe I bought in 1979. I since found out that one of those guys actually smoked a Falcon. But I digress.

It was 1981, Abilene, Texas and I smoked only one tobacco, Sir Walter Raleigh. I loved that stuff. I bought it by the pouch and at the grocery store usually. I was out of SWR and was with some friends at the mall. They had a tobacco shop so I stopped in and asked if they had SWR. The guy said, "Oh, you like burley. We don't carry SWR but we have several burley tobaccos you might like." I learned that day that SWR was burley and that burley is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. I passed on the fancy burley tins but I did buy a nice meerschaum from him. I wish I still had that pipe.

All that to say that SWR is the benchmark burley I judge all others by. I am a lifelong fan. So there.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

I like Peretti Burley, need to try some Thanksgiving day now. And Burley Delight, sounds like there's potential. What else do I need to buy?
sisyphus
Person of Interest

You can't go wrong with any I mentioned. SWR, Prince Albert, C&D Pegasus, 4noggins Moe's Confetti, Amphora Original, ALL good places to start.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:32 pm You can't go wrong with any I mentioned. SWR, Prince Albert, C&D Pegasus, 4noggins Moe's Confetti, Amphora Original, ALL good places to start.
With the exception of Amphora, since I refuse to pay that much for a pouch of something that isn't flake or plug, I've had, and do have, and like all of those. Bob Bushman is good too if you like C&D.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:32 pm You can't go wrong with any I mentioned. SWR, Prince Albert, C&D Pegasus, 4noggins Moe's Confetti, Amphora Original, ALL good places to start.
I have had all these and they are all good. My wife remembers that I smoked Amphora by the tub back in the day. I will get a pouch of the brown or the red in my stocking or by my plate at breakfast on my birthday.

I will admit a partiality to Pegasus.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Ya know, Watch City Slices is the first blend that made me understand a little bit of how GH&Co gets that "flavor" into their blends I love. It reminds me of that "flavor" and it's all because the Dark Fired leaf, which is a Burley. Ever since I smoke Slices, it's all I can do not to order a pound of Dark Fired to add to my smoke.
Whalehead King

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm I like Peretti Burley, need to try some Thanksgiving day now. And Burley Delight, sounds like there's potential. What else do I need to buy?
If you like Peretti burley, may I suggest going to their most original burley, No Name. It's a lakeland burley. It is very, very, very perfume-y. Don't let that turn you off. When I lived in Boston, I used to go to the source and when something is named "No Name," I had to try it. It may not be your bowl, but it will rock your preconceptions down to the foundations.

It's weird, like, super-weird. That said, it's pure burley, through and through, with a topping that will knock your underwear off. Sample an ounce. If you don't like it, don't blame me. I said it's super-weird. For some of us (me) that means it's super-good. YMMV. Some of our esteemed colleagues don't dig it. I do, but I'm extreme. Again, YMMV. Order an ounce, but don't say you weren't warned beforehand.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Whalehead King wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:10 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm I like Peretti Burley, need to try some Thanksgiving day now. And Burley Delight, sounds like there's potential. What else do I need to buy?
If you like Peretti burley, may I suggest going to their most original burley, No Name. It's a lakeland burley. It is very, very, very perfume-y. Don't let that turn you off. When I lived in Boston, I used to go to the source and when something is named "No Name," I had to try it. It may not be your bowl, but it will rock your preconceptions down to the foundations.

It's weird, like, super-weird. That said, it's pure burley, through and through, with a topping that will knock your underwear off. Sample an ounce. If you don't like it, don't blame me. I said it's super-weird. For some of us (me) that means it's super-good. YMMV. Some of our esteemed colleagues don't dig it. I do, but I'm extreme. Again, YMMV. Order an ounce, but don't say you weren't warned beforehand.
I absolutely have to try that one now, stat. Ennerdale and Coniston are welcome along with any other weird relatives or friends of theirs.
Whistlebritches

Not sure if this truly fits the burley category but Solani 660 Silver Flake is one of my favorite baccy's period.