Perique and DFK

Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

rekamepip wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 pm
slowroll wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 pm Well, I'm 2 weeks in on a light pressing of HH ODF RR and perique, think I'll try it tomorrow.
we expect a full report here tomorrow

:lurk:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

rekamepip wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 pm
slowroll wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:00 pm Well, I'm 2 weeks in on a light pressing of HH ODF RR and perique, think I'll try it tomorrow.
we expect a full report here tomorrow

Oh yeah - this sounds good to me. Inquiring minds want to know.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
slowroll
Founding Member

Aye, aye men. Wilco.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
slowroll
Founding Member

Well folks, I've smoked 2 bowls of my ODF perique mix. I mixed in about 20 % perique by volume. The perique is usually so moist that mixing by weight results in very little perique in the mix. So, how did it smoke?
What I was hoping for was that the Meaty heavy ODF flavor would be enhanced by a bit of figgy perique undertone. What occurred is that the lovely flavor of seared steak that the ODF has was muted quite a bit and I got a rather tangy sort of fungal taste. Did not work out as well as my perique addition to Vintage Syrian. Possible that I used too much perique. I'll mix up a batch with less perique and report back in a week or so.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

slowroll wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 pm Well folks, I've smoked 2 bowls of my ODF perique mix. I mixed in about 20 % perique by volume. The perique is usually so moist that mixing by weight results in very little perique in the mix. So, how did it smoke?
What I was hoping for was that the Meaty heavy ODF flavor would be enhanced by a bit of figgy perique undertone. What occurred is that the lovely flavor of seared steak that the ODF has was muted quite a bit and I got a rather tangy sort of fungal taste. Did not work out as well as my perique addition to Vintage Syrian. Possible that I used too much perique. I'll mix up a batch with less perique and report back in a week or so.
Maybe salvage this batch by thinning the perique with some more ODF-RR? It does not sound as if it is going to be a goto as is.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
slowroll
Founding Member

Yep, Fr_Tom, gonna try that.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Dont know how much you mixed up but you might take half or so and jar it up for a year or so and then see what happens

don't give up :)
slowroll
Founding Member

rekamepip wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:57 pm Dont know how much you mixed up but you might take half or so and jar it up for a year or so and then see what happens

don't give up :)
My philosophy is, if I don't like it now, the best I can hope for in a year is I'll dislike it less. I try to find something I like a lot fresh before aging to make it even better . I'll keep trying with this