Rat Rod, Rat Woodie.

Tsal
Forum Decorum

I bought an estate Kaywoodie 98b that was pretty beat up th inking that I could restore it, I started cleaning the stummel with Murphy's soap. I kind of like how it looks all beaten up with a lot of oxidation on the stem, it kind of reminds me of an old Rat Rod. I'm going to sleep on it and perhaps tomorrow just rub a little feed oil on it and fill'er up.
The Troll Whisperer
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Looks like you stripped all the stain and varnish off but it looks cool!
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Did you at least clean the internals? I get the sleeper rod idea but can't abide with oxidation, especially on/in the bite since I can taste it. And what is feed oil? You mean rub it on your nose, up high on the sides?
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm I bought an estate Kaywoodie 98b that was pretty beat up th inking that I could restore it, I started cleaning the stummel with Murphy's soap. I kind of like how it looks all beaten up with a lot of oxidation on the stem, it kind of reminds me of an old Rat Rod. I'm going to sleep on it and perhaps tomorrow just rub a little feed oil on it and fill'er up.
Love it! I like to use chapstick or Carmex on vulcanite.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Holy cow I've never seen Murphys strip a finish like that. Are you considering Howard's feed n oil or whatever that's called? I think it would be cool, basically work out the same as when I use cutting board sealer wax on mine. Low sheen but rich wood look
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 pm Did you at least clean the internals? I get the sleeper rod idea but can't abide with oxidation, especially on/in the bite since I can taste it. And what is feed oil? You mean rub it on your nose, up high on the sides?
I hacked the stinger off and I scrubbed the internals with grain alcohol and BJ long bristle cleaners, it was pretty bad. Howard's feed n wax.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 am Holy cow I've never seen Murphys strip a finish like that. Are you considering Howard's feed n oil or whatever that's called? I think it would be cool, basically work out the same as when I use cutting board sealer wax on mine. Low sheen but rich wood look
Yeah, the finish came right off with a few applications.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:51 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 am Holy cow I've never seen Murphys strip a finish like that. Are you considering Howard's feed n oil or whatever that's called? I think it would be cool, basically work out the same as when I use cutting board sealer wax on mine. Low sheen but rich wood look
Interesting. That's a first for me. Old briar can do some really cool stuff with just a simple oil wax product is put on (my grabow freehand is a great example of that)
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:56 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:51 am
Interesting. That's a first for me. Old briar can do some really cool stuff with just a simple oil wax product is put on (my grabow freehand is a great example of that)
I really just wanted to get the cake off the rim so I loaded it up and it dripped down the side without me knowing. When I wiped it off it left a streak so I kept going.
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

I say load it up and roll with it. I like it.

“Brakes are good, tires are fair”.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett