Rat Rod, Rat Woodie.

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Anyone know what this signifies?
The Troll Whisperer
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 am Anyone know what this signifies?
Drinking on the job. 8-)
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Longshanks wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:43 am
Drinking on the job. 8-)
:lol:
A "let me see what this looks like" idea.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'm looking into it.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

FD is for flush, drinkless. I can't find a reference on the 1263 but every time I did see it it was on the stem of a Super Grain 98b. I think that's it.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm I bought an estate Kaywoodie 98b that was pretty beat up th inking that I could restore it, I started cleaning the stummel with Murphy's soap. I kind of like how it looks all beaten up with a lot of oxidation on the stem, it kind of reminds me of an old Rat Rod. I'm going to sleep on it and perhaps tomorrow just rub a little feed oil on it and fill'er up.
I've never in my life seen Murphy's lighten a pipe that much! It still looks like it has a bit of gloss too it though, so perhaps it was just a lighter finish? Was it just that insanely grimey?
I'll admit it does have a certain "Jimmy Pipe" charisma. I am with TM on the oxidation near the end of the stem, as it tends to taste not-good, and for some reason it leaves me with a burning sensation on my lips. You want it to really look rat-rod, shine the crap out of the stem, hit the bowl with some Fiebing's Black, and then use feed-n-wax over the top to leave it matte.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:49 am
FD is for flush, drinkless. I can't find a reference on the 1263 but every time I did see it it was on the stem of a Super Grain 98b. I think that's it.
I don't know if your serious or not? Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:08 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm I bought an estate Kaywoodie 98b that was pretty beat up th inking that I could restore it, I started cleaning the stummel with Murphy's soap. I kind of like how it looks all beaten up with a lot of oxidation on the stem, it kind of reminds me of an old Rat Rod. I'm going to sleep on it and perhaps tomorrow just rub a little feed oil on it and fill'er up.
I've never in my life seen Murphy's lighten a pipe that much! It still looks like it has a bit of gloss too it though, so perhaps it was just a lighter finish? Was it just that insanely grimey?
I'll admit it does have a certain "Jimmy Pipe" charisma. I am with TM on the oxidation near the end of the stem, as it tends to taste not-good, and for some reason it leaves me with a burning sensation on my lips. You want it to really look rat-rod, shine the crap out of the stem, hit the bowl with some Fiebing's Black, and then use feed-n-wax over the top to leave it matte.
I'm in the process of cleaning and polishing the stem now. I don't have Fiebings Black, I have a few other colors somewhere in the garage I'll have to find.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 am
I'm in the process of cleaning and polishing the stem now. I don't have Fiebings Black, I have a few other colors somewhere in the garage I'll have to find.

The only reason I say black, is because for some reason I always visualize something flat black when someone says rat-rod.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:53 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 am

The only reason I say black, is because for some reason I always visualize something flat black when someone says rat-rod.
That's badass but too clean to be a rat.
ImageImageImage
The Troll Whisperer