New Cob Break In

John

I just received four new cobs and have tried this method with three of them so far. It charred the shank well and I had no issues with overheating. It probably would have taken three or more bowls to get the char I got doing it this way once.
John

ncrobb wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm The last new cob I took up with got the voids on either side of the stem and bottom of the bowl packed with pipe mud. After a good dry it’s held up well with limited burnt wood taste.
Did you make your own mud? I hear cigar ash and spit works well.
ncrobb
Founding Member

John wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:08 pm
ncrobb wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:03 pm The last new cob I took up with got the voids on either side of the stem and bottom of the bowl packed with pipe mud. After a good dry it’s held up well with limited burnt wood taste.
Did you make your own mud? I hear cigar ash and spit works well.
Yes. I’m not much on cigars so I use pipe ash, just sifted through a fine mesh screen and mixed with water. Others use honey/water, spit, who knows what to mix the mud. Also I’ve found that mixing it dry, so it’s “crumbly” if that can describe pipe mud, works best. Too wet and it takes too long to set and will break apart during use.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I just pack it with cigar ash, and it seems to soak up some moisture and harden up on its own. This has worked pretty well for me in terms of smoke readiness for a new cob.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I still coat a new cob with a light coat of honey . . . I do not worry about the bottom which takes care of itself after a few smokes.

I tend to enjoy my cobs more in the Spring and Fall . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .