Reconciling Risk v Reward of Piping

Peacock

Middle Earth wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:52 am
OfPipeAndPen wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:24 am
Middle Earth wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:48 am If you smoke a pipe and do not drink, the "risk" is essentially zero at three or less pipefuls a day.
Can you cite this claim? Asking because I found this study on pipe smoking exclusively and there don't seem to be many others like it. I'd like to educate myself. https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/96/11/853/2520796
Yes, that is the source. Study tables #3 and #5. The big issue, as noted in the study, primarily related to "throat" cancer, especially north of three pipes a day.
Current pipe smokers and no alcohol essentially no increased risk.
Current pipe smokers and 1 to 3 drinks a day and you jump to 15.
That is a huge increase and, discussed in the study, which seems both comprehensive and definitive. The breadth and scope is huge and focused on pipe smoking.
There are a lot of ways to enjoy your free time and treasure. So pick things that bring you peaceful joy and happiness.
Thank you - someone obviously didn't read the study thoroughly😬🙄
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Peacock

oldbill wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 am Last March 3rd I was T-boned in an intersection at 5:45 in the morning by a yo-yo driving with no license. Half of the bones in my upper body were broken, I had multiple soft tissue tears and both lungs were partially collapsed. While I was in the hospital, my attending physician pointed to the drain tube that had been inserted into my chest and told me that had I been out on a dark country road instead of in the middle of a busy area of town I probably would have died from drowning in my own bodily fluids and the take away from all this for me is that I can die at ANY time.
I eat what I want, I drink what I want and I ENJOY the things and people that I love because I'm keenly aware that I have an expiration date but in the mean time I will reap all of the benefits that life has to offer, including a good pipe from time to time. ;)
Thanks for the perspective oldbill, I'm terribly sorry this happened to you but glad you made it out the other side. Sounds like it wasn't your time. And pipe smoking is certainly a pleasure thay enhances life's quiet moments
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:25 pm I'd been interested in smoking a pipe all my life...both of my grandfathers smoked a pipe. I, on the other hand, grew up in a strongly no-smoking family, and didn't pick up the pipe until I was 50 years old. Did some research that satisfied me as to it's relative safety, and had a chat with my doctor. He shrugged and said, "Pipe smoking isn't really much of a concern." My therapist told me that pipe smoking posed less danger than the side effects of any meds he would prescribe. So...

But truth be told, I smoke the pipe simply because it relaxes me to no end, and I really enjoy it. The day it's not enjoyable and relaxing is the day I stop.
Yup, yup, and yup.
ever forward
unregistered1

9 Iron wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:20 pm I’m subjected to ridiculous amounts of toxins, poisons, and various unkind things in the air, water and food, and there’s nothing I can do about it. A little pipe smoke that I don’t even inhale? Who cares.
That is why they came up with the tobacco thing. So people would focus on that while ending up blind-sided by what can truly harm us. The significant raise in the number of cancers over the last three decades or so is very telling - and has nothing to do with tobacco.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
unregistered1

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:51 pm I grew up 5 miles away from this lovely refinery smack dab in the middle of whats known as the cancer belt highway.. I think pipe smoking pales in comparison.
That's right. :thumbs:
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
CoreyR
Founding Member

My doctor told me that something else is going to kill me LONG before pipe smoke ever will. I'm good.
Middle Earth

I grew up in the inland areas of So Cal. Smog was so bad that I had to call in to see if a little league game could proceed due to "smog alerts" when I worked as an umpire. I remember flying into Ontario, CA, long ago, and these two French guys were saying, "Look at the fog."
I explained the situation and they were amazed. I read that growing up where I did, did a number on my lungs. Our bodies take an environmental beating regardless, so the posts saying "so what" to pipe smoke make sense.
In the end, we are all playing a genetic lottery.
So as one member says, enjoy them smokes.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Middle Earth wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:48 am Life is a genitic lottery.
Our oldest veteran passed recently at 112 and smoked 12 cigars a day for 94 years.
Others never smoke and die young.
If you smoke a pipe and do not drink, the "risk" is essentially zero at three or less pipefuls a day.
I do not smoke every day, only when the weather is nice and I am in the mood.
If smoking a pipe is not relaxing and enjoyable for me I would not do it.
I'll give a +1 to this. I've read the 12 cigars a day vet story, and I believe him. George Burns said something similar. I've also heard a shot of whiskey a day story, and I believe her. I think the lesson we can take from the elder stories is this: moderation. From food, to sex, to fast driving, to smoking pipes & cigars, to enjoying adult beverages, to sky diving, to whatever... moderation.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Longshanks wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm
Middle Earth wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:48 am Life is a genitic lottery.
Our oldest veteran passed recently at 112 and smoked 12 cigars a day for 94 years.
Others never smoke and die young.
If you smoke a pipe and do not drink, the "risk" is essentially zero at three or less pipefuls a day.
I do not smoke every day, only when the weather is nice and I am in the mood.
If smoking a pipe is not relaxing and enjoyable for me I would not do it.
I'll give a +1 to this. I've read the 12 cigars a day vet story, and I believe him. George Burns said something similar. I've also heard a shot of whiskey a day story, and I believe her. I think the lesson we can take from the elder stories is this: moderation. From food, to sex, to fast driving, to smoking pipes & cigars, to enjoying adult beverages, to sky diving, to whatever... moderation.
Wellll, I agree with the driving fast and the sky diving! ;) :D
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

No such thing as too much sex . First time ive ever seen or heard it mentioned . Pipe smoking is good for you , is the general rule
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.