What Are You Smoking January 2019

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm 2002 Dunhill Flake thanks to @Bruyere_Royale in the BST pot

I wish I had more to give you but you got 2 flakes and I got 2, even Steven. Lol
We used to say in the South that you don't thump a free melon. It has been very good. Next up is the Condor.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
steamboat

Smoking Butera Royal Vintage Matured Ribbon in a Grabow Freehand. 24 ounce can of Natty Daddy on the side is tonight's beverage.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:15 pm
houtenziel wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:29 pm
I might be ruining this...the shiny stuff is coming off in patches. Eeeek! I'm no craftsman. Guess I'll put on another coat of Murphy's and let'er sit a while.
Really baffled by this. I've never had Murphy's strip a finish and I've used it on at least 30 pipes. I usually put it on an old tooth brush and give pipes a scrubbin' too. I will occasionally even put a dab on the corner of a wet paper towel to clean off rim darkening. Having it strip off varnish is crazy.
You really have to get in to it heavy, no dabbing on wet corners. Lol
Are you applying it with a 220 grit sponge? Maybe a wire brush? I scrub the crap out of estate pipe bowls with a toothbrush slathered in it, and never had it lift a finish.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Maynard

ImageLancer Slices in this Alpha.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm 2002 Dunhill Flake thanks to @Bruyere_Royale in the BST pot

I wish I had more to give you but you got 2 flakes and I got 2, even Steven. Lol
We used to say in the South that you don't thump a free melon. It has been very good. Next up is the Condor.
Lol... I'm gonna use that one!
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:05 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:29 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm

I can't wait to get crackin' on my Kapruf when I get home. If it turns out nice I might just go ahead and do all the grimy ones I have.
I might be ruining this...the shiny stuff is coming off in patches. Eeeek! I'm no craftsman. Guess I'll put on another coat of Murphy's and let'er sit a while.
Yes, you have to keep applying until it's off. The same thing happened with the 98b I just did. Do a few more coats wiping it off in between and let it dry overnight then do it again. Once you put the feed n wax on it looks great.
I'm doing two more.
Okie dokie...I'll keep at'er. :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Really baffled by this. I've never had Murphy's strip a finish and I've used it on at least 30 pipes. I usually put it on an old tooth brush and give pipes a scrubbin' too. I will occasionally even put a dab on the corner of a wet paper towel to clean off rim darkening. Having it strip off varnish is crazy.
Are you applying it with a 220 grit sponge? Maybe a wire brush? I scrub the crap out of estate pipe bowls with a toothbrush slathered in it, and never had it lift a finish.
Just a tooth brush. I scrub in a circular motion until the foam starts to turn brown and a few more passes then let it sit for 15 mins, wipe and start again.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

It doesn't strip the stain down to bare briar if that's what you mean?
The Troll Whisperer
MarineDad
Founding Member

Peretti Tashkent in s BST bent billiard.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm
It doesn't strip the stain down to bare briar if that's what you mean?
No, I mean usually there is some residual wax left on waxed pipes, and if it's lacquered that remains as well. Murphy's Oil Soap is made to be used on furniture / hardwood floors which often times are coated with lacquer or shellac with a protective wax on top, so it shouldn't be messing with that aspect of a finish. It's really just fancy good smelling castile soap.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt