Can you overload your bowl??

Bigflo

I’ve been trying some different loading techniques and I’ve found I smoke better the less tobacco I load. I was just curious if anyone else thinks this way or am I just crazy. It’s still a full bowl but instead of 2 hours to smoke it it gets done in about 45 minutes to 1 hour with minimal relights and better enjoyment.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

You can over fill a pipe. It won't stay lit. You can under fill it too but that's not really a thing anyone does. You'll find that happy place for you and your pipes as you go. You have to leave some air or space in there for it to burn right.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

The short answer is.. yes you can definitely overload the bowl.

Longer answer - You pack it too tight and the air/fuel(tobacco) ratio is wrong and you will have a lot of trouble keeping it lit, and probably moisture accumulation from trying to suck start it. Pack too loose, and it also won't stay lit because it will burn quickly and the ember won't pass well from leaf to leaf. I usually pack on the looser side and then if I need to I will tamp it down a bit. You can't really loosen a stuck bowl, so starting out I think packing lighter is better. Moisture level of the tobacco also plays a big role in both of the above scenarios.

If what you are doing is working for you, please keep doing it.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm You can over fill a pipe. It won't stay lit. You can under fill it too but that's not really a thing anyone does. You'll find that happy place for you and your pipes as you go. You have to leave some air or space in there for it to burn right.
dang it.. beat me to it.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bigflo

I was a 3 pinch guy forever recently I started using the frank method now I’m using my own spin on the frank I still gravity fill the bottom but I use a much smaller packet of tobacco to actually load in.
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Use whatever works for you. I've been having good luck with the 3 pinch method since I started smoking a pipe again a few days ago. When I smoked before I tried every method I saw people trying and it got frustrating. Simpler is better IMO
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bigflo wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:45 pm I was a 3 pinch guy forever recently I started using the frank method now I’m using my own spin on the frank I still gravity fill the bottom but I use a much smaller packet of tobacco to actually load in.
None of the "methods" ever worked well for me. The simple fact that all tobaccos have different moistures, cuts, etc, kind of precludes any specific method from working for every tobacco. Now I just fill the pipe up and keep filling it until I can lightly push the top and it's somewhat firm, but still has a little spring-back to it. Works for me anyway.
― Theodore Roosevelt
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:51 pm
Bigflo wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:45 pm I was a 3 pinch guy forever recently I started using the frank method now I’m using my own spin on the frank I still gravity fill the bottom but I use a much smaller packet of tobacco to actually load in.
None of the "methods" ever worked well for me. The simple fact that all tobaccos have different moistures, cuts, etc, kind of precludes any specific method from working for every tobacco. Now I just fill the pipe up and keep filling it until I can lightly push the top and it's somewhat firm, but still has a little spring-back to it. Works for me anyway.
Exactly. As long as the tobacco isn't falling out of the pipe and the draw is good :thumbs:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have a carefully calibrated thumb. I just scoop and give it a firm thumb. Sometimes I use a finger to stuff it in. Then it gets the thumb.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

We called that giving the tobacco a "moosh" back on PSF 1.0. Mr. Moo came up whith the term! lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!