What Are You Smoking January 2019

User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:45 am

houtenziel wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:54 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:49 am
Fr_Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:42 am


Not for this boy. That seasoning thing means you are saving on pipe cleaners too.
Someone needs to invent washable hard plastic pipe cleaners. They would last forever.
They do make nylon tubing brushes in sizes that would fit in both the shank and down the stem draft. They aren't the most absorbent things though, so you'd probably still need cotton cleaners to mop up the funk.
Your probably right. I was thinking more like a really fine bristle cleaner.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 6):
GrimpeurFr_TomavidKevin KeithThelonious monkfishMikeDennison
Tsal... 🎳 A Zesty flavorful adventure in pipe smoking...
Image
User avatar
Grimpeur
Active Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am

MB Dark Twist in the Falcon, Barry's orange pekoe in the cup.

Fisherman's Friend is my cough drop of choice. Suits my outlook of, if I'm not somewhat in pain, I'm doing it wrong!

When I was a foreman on the railway I worked with a top-notch lad who liked the drink a bit too much, especially for a zero tolerance workplace. I always had a tin of Fisherman's to give him for those times when a manager would have a chat... nothing overpowers a FF👍👍
This post by Grimpeur liked by (total 11):
Fr_TomhoutenzielavidKevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMr BeardsleyMaynardsimplepipes
User avatar
Bamarick
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:24 am

I had to wait until the temperature moderated a bit before I could brave a cold 40deg to have my morning pipe. I enjoyed a bowl of SPRT in the new, to me, Fischer Supreme Poker. The pipe was purchased from one of our better known members who also provided the tobacco, along with several others, to use in it. I can see the SPRT becoming a staple in my collection of tobacco. I'm enjoying this pipe as well.

Image
This post by Bamarick liked by (total 12):
Fr_TomhoutenzielavidslowrollGrimpeurKevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMr Beardsleysimplepipes
Just an old retired Telephone Man enjoying life one day at a time.
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 8797
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 am

Bamarick wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:24 am
I had to wait until the temperature moderated a bit before I could brave a cold 40deg to have my morning pipe. I enjoyed a bowl of SPRT in the new, to me, Fischer Supreme Poker. The pipe was purchased from one of our better known members who also provided the tobacco, along with several others, to use in it. I can see the SPRT becoming a staple in my collection of tobacco. I'm enjoying this pipe as well.

Image
I want to give you a big thumbs up on the poker as well as the SPRT choice!

I am writing a funeral homily this morning. Tomorrow will have a cold graveside service.

ODF-RR in a BST pot

Image
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 12):
avidslowrollGrimpeurhoutenzielKevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMr BeardsleyMaynardsimplepipes
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
slowroll
Founding Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 am

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:48 am

Smoking my routine morning HH ODF in my #1 stack. Given it's -2 F, not a day for smoking on the deck.
This post by slowroll liked by (total 11):
GrimpeurhoutenzielavidKevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMr BeardsleyMaynardsimplepipes
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
User avatar
Bamarick
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 am

I want to give you a big thumbs up on the poker as well as the SPRT choice!
Thanks Ft_Tom. I think the combination of the pipe & tobacco are going to be a good pair. I've called what passes for a B&M here and it just so happens that a 6oz bag was on the shelf. They've pulled it for me to pick up tomorrow morning.

Ft_Tom I'm an old USAF Veteran and if the graveside was for me I would tell you to keep it short & sweet. I think your old Veteran would say the same thing.
This post by Bamarick liked by (total 9):
houtenzielKevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMaynardGrimpeursimplepipes
Just an old retired Telephone Man enjoying life one day at a time.
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 8797
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:56 am

Bamarick wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 am
I want to give you a big thumbs up on the poker as well as the SPRT choice!
Thanks Ft_Tom. I think the combination of the pipe & tobacco are going to be a good pair. I've called what passes for a B&M here and it just so happens that a 6oz bag was on the shelf. They've pulled it for me to pick up tomorrow morning.

Ft_Tom I'm an old USAF Veteran and if the graveside was for me I would tell you to keep it short & sweet. I think your old Veteran would say the same thing.
This man was a veteran, so there will be military honors. My bit in the graveside service is short sweet. I have the advantage of a heavy wool cape for events like this. The homily goes in the church service, and we go from the graveside to lunch in the parish hall. There will be plenty of coffee there to get core temps back up.

You might be interested to know I mention the Dorchester Chaplains in the homily. That is a snippet of military history that needs to be mentioned every now and then.

Double Down in a Silver Duke pot

Image
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 8):
Kevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMr BeardsleyGrimpeursimplepipes
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Cowtown

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:56 am
Bamarick wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:17 am
I want to give you a big thumbs up on the poker as well as the SPRT choice!
Thanks Ft_Tom. I think the combination of the pipe & tobacco are going to be a good pair. I've called what passes for a B&M here and it just so happens that a 6oz bag was on the shelf. They've pulled it for me to pick up tomorrow morning.

Ft_Tom I'm an old USAF Veteran and if the graveside was for me I would tell you to keep it short & sweet. I think your old Veteran would say the same thing.
This man was a veteran, so there will be military honors. My bit in the graveside service is short sweet. I have the advantage of a heavy wool cape for events like this. The homily goes in the church service, and we go from the graveside to lunch in the parish hall. There will be plenty of coffee there to get core temps back up.

You might be interested to know I mention the Dorchester Chaplains in the homily. That is a snippet of military history that needs to be mentioned every now and then.

Double Down in a Silver Duke pot

Image
If you have a Canterbury cap with ear flaps you should wear that tomorrow. Now smoking LC Va/Oriental in a Grand Duke.

Image
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 10):
Fr_TomBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyhoutenzielThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMr BeardsleyMaynardGrimpeursimplepipes
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 8797
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 pm

If you have a Canterbury cap with ear flaps you should wear that tomorrow. Now smoking LC Va/Oriental in a Grand Duke.

Image
I don't have a Canterbury cap. I should probably get one.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 6):
Bruyere_RoyalehoutenzielThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMaynardGrimpeur
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Johnny
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 am
Location: New York

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:19 pm

Home from work a little early today. Boss called out sick again so I had to go in early to do her job :fu: :lol:
Smoking the ghost out of the GBD 347 with some PA

Image
This post by Johnny liked by (total 10):
Fr_TomBruyere_RoyalehoutenzielThelonious monkfishMikeDennisonMr BeardsleyMaynardKevin KeithGrimpeursimplepipes
Locked