Latest Pipe Purchase 2019

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:46 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm

I think they are the kind of acrylic that you wouldn't like. No give, not thin.
That was my sneaking suspicion...
Another area where we are on the same page. I'm not a fan of acrylic stems at all.
Some people prefer them. I totally get the different tastes thing. It is what keeps the market varied.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 pm

That was my sneaking suspicion...
Another area where we are on the same page. I'm not a fan of acrylic stems at all.
Some people prefer them. I totally get the different tastes thing. It is what keeps the market varied.
Ah luvs 'em.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Ah luvs 'em.
It seems that twins separated at birth can be separated by stem preference too.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I present to you, houtenziel's non-authoritatve hierarchy of stem materials.
Vulcanite > Cumberland(Brindled Vulcanite) > Nylon > Propionate(cob stems) > Reed > Clay > Acrylic
I haven't had a pipe with an Amber or Horn stem..

I don't know what it is about acrylic, but it just makes my teeth hurt. I'd rather clench on a clay cutty stem and risk "pipe divots", and that is saying something.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

houtenziel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 pm I present to you, houtenziel's non-authoritatve hierarchy of stem materials.
Vulcanite > Cumberland(Brindled Vulcanite) > Nylon > Propionate(cob stems) > Reed > Clay > Acrylic

I don't know what it is about acrylic, but it just makes my teeth hurt. I'd rather clench on a clay cutty stem and risk "pipe divots", and that is saying something.
FWIW, acrylic does cover some territory. I do have a GBD with a perspex stem that is very nice. It does not feel hard or "glassy" to me.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 pm I present to you, houtenziel's non-authoritatve hierarchy of stem materials.

You forgot ebonite. Or are you classifying that under Cumberland? Now the whole flow chart is off
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:17 pm

FWIW, acrylic does cover some territory. I do have a GBD with a perspex stem that is very nice. It does not feel hard or "glassy" to me.
So far, I've had a Vauen, Rattray, Morgan Bones, and a Lucite Pete that were all pretty much like biting down on glass. I haven't had a Perspex, so that could be one to try for me.
I have read also that there have been attempts at creating treated acrylics that are softer, to get the best of both worlds. "Ashtonite" being one that often has the lore of being a vulcanite/acrylic composite, despite that being a chemical impossibility.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm

You forgot ebonite. Or are you classifying that under Cumberland? Now the whole flow chart is off
Ebonite is just a trade name for Vulcanite.
― Theodore Roosevelt
avid

hard or "glassy"
this would be my description of my two Sav acrylic stems
insufferable filter guy
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:41 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:17 pm

So far, I've had a Vauen, Rattray, Morgan Bones, and a Lucite Pete that were all pretty much like biting down on glass. I haven't had a Perspex, so that could be one to try for me.
I have read also that there have been attempts at creating treated acrylics that are softer, to get the best of both worlds. "Ashtonite" being one that often has the lore of being a vulcanite/acrylic composite, despite that being a chemical impossibility.
More makers need to use Juma for stems. I have one pipe with a juma stem and it's actually my favorite material. Somewhere between vulcanite and ebonite (and yes even though they are technically the same they don't feel the same)
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin