What Hand Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WHMCAYST™

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

An HC White.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Crowned Heads Buckeye Land
Joya Antaño 1970
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

MikeDennison wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm An HC White.
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
Here are some mild ones to consider, if you haven't already tried them.
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
Thanks, brother! Hey... question for ya. Last night I tried a Brocatus that I could barely draw. Wound up tossing it. Is there something to do for that?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
Thanks, brother! Hey... question for ya. Last night I tried a Brocatus that I could barely draw. Wound up tossing it. Is there something to do for that?
Could be for a few reasons, but usually for me it's because the cigar is too dry. When handmades dry, the wrapper and binders tend to contract around the filler and the result is what you call a plugged cigar. Now, it's entirely possible for a cigar to just be rolled too tight - that has happened to me more than once - but in most cases it's a humidity issue.
So I guess my first question should be: How are you storing them?

I have seen some attempts at salvaging a plugged cigar by sticking a thin pointy object an inch or two in through the cut end.. this is risky though, and could cause the cigar to split down the side, and I have yet to have it save a cigar for me.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
Yeah, switch to machine made!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
Yeah, switch to machine made!
On the one hand yes, this probably would be less likely with a machine made. But then on the other hand, most machine made cigars are psuedo-tobacco dog rockets, made out of the ground up floor sweepings from hand mades. :lol:
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

I haven't really smoked but the occasional cigar since the 90's when they were cheap enough to pick up regularly, and it was generally something robust, but I did have a thing for the Ashton Corona with shade grown Connecticut leaf. Can imagine you would quite enjoy it but I couldn't say what they cost now.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm
I haven't really smoked but the occasional cigar since the 90's when they were cheap enough to pick up regularly, and it was generally something robust, but I did have a thing for the Ashton Corona with shade grown Connecticut leaf. Can imagine you would quite enjoy it but I couldn't say what they cost now.
Most of Ashton's stuff is about $9-10 a stick. Not exactly economical anymore.

I generally go for the more full flavored varieties myself, especially if I am dropping that sort of coin. My favorites being Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu, Leaf by Oscar Maduro, Don Pepin Blue, and Oliva Serie O Maduro.
To me, Maduro wrapper has flavor that reminds me of a cross between rich burley and strong espresso.
― Theodore Roosevelt