Latest Pipe Purchase 2019

avid

Grimpeur wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:54 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am
Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:59 am
Some woodwind instrument mouthpiece sans reed. Saxophone say I.
Isn't a saxophone really just a fancy duck call?
It's early days, but I bet I won't read anything funnier than that this year!
I'd rather listen to a dozen banjos than one sax...and that's saying something.
you guys might be on to something, but that aint no drake

insufferable filter guy
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Longshanks wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm

We will see. I am a man who has a tube of superglue and is not afraid to use it.
I just went back and scanned the photos on full brightness and couldn't see anything that looks like a crack. :?:
Awesome, so you're telling me I missed out on a great deal. LOL Hey, at least Fr. Tom got it. I'm okay with that. ;)
Here's an illustration of what I thought I saw... arrow heads point to the bottom of what I thought was a hairline crack. I wear glasses for near-sightedness, so pardon the mistake. :bang:

I see what you are saying. I would probably chalk that up to lighting myself. You are a very cautious man :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Longshanks wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Grats! I almost bid on that one, but pics showed what looked to be a hairline crack around the bottom of the bowl. It blended so well with the brush lines I couldn't tell if they were just "clean" lines or actual cracks within the line. Maybe it's a repair job? I don't know. I'd have asked the seller about it, but I figured I'd get some response like "I don't know anything about pipes."

Anyway, I hope this is not the case and you receive a solid chunk of briar. :thumbs:
We will see. I am a man who has a tube of superglue and is not afraid to use it.
I just went back and scanned the photos on full brightness and couldn't see anything that looks like a crack. :?:
I had not seen anything to make me run away. I have bought pipes that have had a crack or some problem the "junktique" dealer would not have known to notice or point out if he had wanted to. All of them are still in use and seem to be holding up OK. The Weber billiard I smoked this morning is one of those pipes.

I figure if I have $11 or $12 in something I will use, it is not worth the hassle of sending it back and creating a stink. It is after all a Grabow Starfire, and I like saddle-bit stems.

If I smoke it for a few years and it falls apart, I am not going to be bitter or harbor resentment. It is not like I am buying pipes as an investment or with plans to sell them.

Here is some detail on the Weber crack. I think I paid $8.99 for this shipped from some vendor who sold mostly mantlepiece curios. It seems pretty stable and has not gotten worse in the time I have had it. There is still time for superglue if it gets worse.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Longshanks wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Awesome, so you're telling me I missed out on a great deal. LOL Hey, at least Fr. Tom got it. I'm okay with that. ;)
Here's an illustration of what I thought I saw... arrow heads point to the bottom of what I thought was a hairline crack. I wear glasses for near-sightedness, so pardon the mistake. :bang:

Maybe it's time to up the prescription. Lol
I just got my first pair of reading glasses, I feel like my grandfather switching back and forth between the two to see.
The Troll Whisperer
unregistered1

And my Savinelli 320s Seven Day set is now complete with these two newly found additions. :clap:

A Bianca Rusticated

A Marron Glacé Rusticated (I am really digging that stem!)

I was some good work over the last few months requiring some patience; but I have 320s that I will surely enjoy.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lord Guyrox wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm And my Savinelli 320s Seven Day set is now complete with these two newly found additions. :clap:

A Bianca Rusticated

A Marron Glacé Rusticated (I am really digging that stem!)

I was some good work over the last few months requiring some patience; but I have 320s that I will surely enjoy.
Fantastic , man !!!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

New Falcon arrived. Pretty sad that GQ can get this thing to me in about half the time it takes P&C to ship me something.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Johnny wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

I'm going to say it's a Chicago made Grabow. It looks like it might have lost the stampings on the left side. [mention]Thelonious monkfish[/mention] will probably know. Good score!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Johnny wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

It is really common for pipes, especially some factory pipes that are stamped upon completion, for the stamping to be so shallow so as to be completely lost when the finish comes off. The fact that the finish looks nearly gone makes me think that you might actually have a Linkman's. That stinger also looks identical to the Linkman's Grabow I had.

Try wiping a wet finger across the left side of the shank to see if any stampings pop out.
Last edited by Houtenziel on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Theodore Roosevelt