What Are You Smoking February 2019

slowroll
Founding Member

Smoking Some more Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky in my Iron Horse stack, rounding out my impression of this tobac.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:22 pm Now smoking LC Virginia/Oriental in the same 45

I am thinking Tommy needs to get a Grabow 45 and smoke it like you have been smoking this one to smoke the new out of that cab.
I've been smoking my Comoy's like the 45. I've looked on the bay at Grabows but I cannot tell what's what. I think you and Kevin bought all of the nice one's already.
We are trying to corner the market.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Irish Condor Longcut in a Westbrook pot

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:33 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm

I am thinking Tommy needs to get a Grabow 45 and smoke it like you have been smoking this one to smoke the new out of that cab.
I've been smoking my Comoy's like the 45. I've looked on the bay at Grabows but I cannot tell what's what. I think you and Kevin bought all of the nice one's already.
We are trying to corner the market.
Youse are doing a good job at it! Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Grousemoor in a Kapruf Liverpool.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:22 pm Now smoking LC Virginia/Oriental in the same 45

Does the LC VaOr get two thumbs up? I'm assuming it's probably real similar to c&d Virginia Gentleman
I've never smoked Virginia Gent so I have to claim ignorance there. I do like it, a lot. It doesn't have quite the edge of LC Natural Virginia and Burley and not quite as much nicotine, but it is a favorite.

Smoking more of it now in the same 45. :king:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Does the LC VaOr get two thumbs up? I'm assuming it's probably real similar to c&d Virginia Gentleman
I've never smoked Virginia Gent so I have to claim ignorance there. I do like it, a lot. It doesn't have quite the edge of LC Natural Virginia and Burley and not quite as much nicotine, but it is a favorite.

Sounds like I'll have to try it out sometime soon. I like Virginia Gentleman but it burns like a California wildfire. A small bowl is around a 15-20 min smoke at best
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Sounds like I'll have to try it out sometime soon. I like Virginia Gentleman but it burns like a California wildfire. A small bowl is around a 15-20 min smoke at best
I bought and smoked a pound of Virginia Gentleman. PS Norwegian was cheaper and a similar experience. I have smoked multiple pounds of it. It is perhaps a little sweeter, but it has been a while. I do remember I have a Kaywoodie pot that smokes Norwegian like they were made for each other. This combo was great for road trips.

Virginia Gentleman has some burley in it. I got a 4 oz sample of the Low Country, and it was good and was about the same strength as I recall but without the burley in the mix.

I would have to look up my reviews, but I think all these were mild-med in terms of strength. In the PS Turkish/Norwegian/Amsterdam trio I landed on Amsterdam and quit stocking the others. I will say I enjoyed the others. Amsterdam is more of a medium strength and I like the spice of the Kentucky.

I don't remember the Virginia Gentleman burning fast, but I would have hydrated it a little if I thought it was too dry.

I say try the LC VaOr if you enjoy the Oriental signature.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:12 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 pm

I bought and smoked a pound of Virginia Gentleman. PS Norwegian was cheaper and a similar experience. I have smoked multiple pounds of it. It is perhaps a little sweeter, but it has been a while. I do remember I have a Kaywoodie pot that smokes Norwegian like they were made for each other. This combo was great for road trips.

Virginia Gentleman has some burley in it. I got a 4 oz sample of the Low Country, and it was good and was about the same strength as I recall but without the burley in the mix.

I would have to look up my reviews, but I think all these were mild-med in terms of strength. In the PS Turkish/Norwegian/Amsterdam trio I landed on Amsterdam and quit stocking the others. I will say I enjoyed the others. Amsterdam is more of a medium strength and I like the spice of the Kentucky.

I don't remember the Virginia Gentleman burning fast, but I would have hydrated it a little if I thought it was too dry.

I say try the LC VaOr if you enjoy the Oriental signature.
I find that I really like the Kentucky in Amsterdam as well. Oriental blends are a nice change of pace on occasion so if I snagged a pound it would last me a few years at least
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

SPRT in a Savinelli Dry System bent pot

Old Ted Award - 2017