Burley Blends revisited

Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

whitebriar wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 pm
Ray Mackessy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm C&D burley blends can be rather so so when their fresh. Most say their a little harsh, but not to my taste. After they sit for a few months they open up taste wise. C&D makes the best burley blends there are IMO. Try Pegasus for a tasteful blend.
Ray
is Pegasus soapy like the old Bond Street??
I detect no soap taste in Pegasus. In fact, I've smoked the old Bond Street and didn't detect any soap taste in that either. May just be a difference in tastes between me and you.
whitebriar

OK sir--just wondering---it's been so long since i smoked bond street, i may actually be confusing it with something else--i remember london dock and bond street and one of them was a bit iffy <<grin>>
whitebriar

after several months and an attitude adjustment on my part, i have finally come to terms with what i refer to as the new OLD JOE KRANTZ--i guess it is what it is--cut is different and the dark burlies are no longer there--it's much milder and even the perique seems adjusted downward--no longer get the nasal hairs singed---but having said that, it is growing on me--i'm beginning to like it, altho BnB has taken over number one spot on my list---

i saw somewhere that a person referred to the new stuff as an OTC type, BUT it is the like best OTC you've ever smoked--i can live with that--
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

whitebriar wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm after several months and an attitude adjustment on my part, i have finally come to terms with what i refer to as the new OLD JOE KRANTZ--i guess it is what it is--cut is different and the dark burlies are no longer there--it's much milder and even the perique seems adjusted downward--no longer get the nasal hairs singed---but having said that, it is growing on me--i'm beginning to like it, altho BnB has taken over number one spot on my list---

i saw somewhere that a person referred to the new stuff as an OTC type, BUT it is the like best OTC you've ever smoked--i can live with that--
Perhaps OJK has had an attitude adjustment. He is a kinder, gentler OJK?

I will say that Big-n-Burley is open now and OJK is languishing waiting for the fullness of time. I smoked some of the "old cut" OJK back-to-back with some of the new, and I pronounced them the same in terms of taste. You might be right though. I do know that I edited my Big-n-Burley review in January of 2018 to say that in terms of strength, it maybe had the edge on OJK. That was not the original assessment.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
whitebriar

yeah Father Tom--
i blv BnB has the edge--i will say my 7 yr old OJK has mellowed a bit--i think you may be right about Old Joe's attitude adjustment--he used to be a rough customer--the new stuff is still good, after i got over the disappointment<<grin>>also been smokin' some Bayou Night--it has undergone some 'changes' also, but it's flavor still remains pretty decent--and there is still noticable perique which is good--that's the thing i hated about the new version of OJK--waaaaay less perique, or at least that's what i found--
for a change of pace tonight i had some of the golden triangle 'st. vacherie'---nothin' on my short list is in any danger from that--