Must try blends

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I get that we like to try all kinds of stuff . Heck , there’s been some years I've tried well over 50 blends , conservatively . Other not as much ... lately , definitely not as many . But I'm not talking trying , I’m talking MUST TRY .... a blend that is obviously above the majority . Not necessarily Bench Mark blends ... but ones that are outstanding for one reason or another . Maybe uniqueness , flavouring etc ... of course ... " Add all benchmark blends to this thread for sure " because everyone should try them but that’s a different subject in itself

Atm , here is what I believe to be Some Must Try blends ...

As mentioned in another post .... MacBaren Navy Flake . Its outstanding !!!

Germains 1820 because it is so fantastic . Its the " perfect English " to me . I wish it were a benchmark blend , I truly do , then other people would know how to make a proper English :P Lol ... anyway , its so outstanding and the perfect balanced blend .

MacBaren Latakia Spun Disc [ if you can find it ], not the new Latakia flake [ thats pretty damn good too ] The Latakia Spun Disc is THE Giada in Fishnets blend ... it just is , so there

MacBaren Black Anbrosia ... The reason why its here is because its a Virginia Cavendished Black Cavendish , which isnt as common as one would think

McClelland Dark Navy Flake .. I know , its not made anymore but maybe theres a guy out there that has 100 lbs of the stuff and figures he hates it and just wants to sell it cheap to get rid of it [ because thats what hoarders do , right ? ] ... anyway , its a paradoxical blend , in that it is a very Lemony Virginia that is taken to black , so youre expecting the real dark virginia flavors , which are kinda there , but in a Lemony way . Its a brilliant blend

Any of the three Peter Stokkebye Luxury blends ... because they are one of the absolute best deals on the market

Mixture 79 and Paladin ... just because [ youll see ]
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

By all means , add the blends you think are must trys
Whalehead King

I have an unopened tin of Black Ambrosia that I haven't opened. No particular reason except that I'm not interested in it. I know the forum is here for us to share useful information and that this isn't very useful, but there it is. I am not terribly adventurous or curious.

Mixture 79, however, that is a must try. I haven't had any in a long, long time---since the time I went through a tub of it exclusively. I think it took me about a month, smoking nothing else. I liked it when I started the experiment, and I liked it more by the time I was done. Life, however, took me along other paths, as it often does, and I haven't had it since. I'd like to revisit M79 again.

Same with Paladin. @Ruffinogold, is this the one you say tastes like Play-Doh, or is that Velvet? I always get the two confused. If I'm right, Palandin is cherry and Velvet is Play-Doh. Either way, I liked them both. I like most everything, though, so don't trust my judgement. They are both different enough from the norm that they are both definitely worth trying.

---Not to beat the SWRA drum too much, but it really is a different blend from all others, and I mean this in a good way. Even if a person doesn't like aromatics, I'll bet dollars to donuts that they will enjoy SWRA.

Rattray's Accountant's Mixture. There is no description on the tin to help you get a handle on what to expect aside from the fact that it is "A Full Tobacco." And it is. It's balanced (ha!). I prefer Aros, but this is a straight tobacco that I really like and it got me in the mood to try other un-aromatic blends. I prefer the Accountant's Mixture, but it's nice to get outside one's paradigm once in a while.

That XXX Black Rope that I have somewhere in another room is another must try. It's flavor is like smoking a slab of steak. I'll have to look up the brand the next time I'm near my cellar.

Alright, I don't want to take up too much of anyone's time by rambling on, stream-of-conciousness style.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

See, WK, this is a point of contention between the Mayor and the Grand Poobah. He says Paladin is the Play-Doh smelling tobacco, I say Velvet reeks of that kerosene infused children's toy...substance...or whatever. I'f I have misrepresented your position Ruff I apologize.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whalehead King

KK, now you've got me rummaging around my sanctum sanctorum looking for a half full tub of Velvet. No dice. I think Velvet is the Play-Doh tobacco and I like it for that reason (what did I say above?).

All I've found is some dregs in a tub of Half and Half, which I like but wouldn't classify as "must try," an unopened tin of Squadron Leader, and a half full tin of Moontrance.

Now, Moontrance, if someone is looking for an aro that goes for full flavored exotic fruit and bourbon vanilla without being goopy, Moontrance is a must try. It's not a burley blend. I think its mostly flavored Virginia, and if it is VA, then yes, there is a Santa Claus. I'm going to light up a bowl of Moontrance after I finish this cigar, now that I've uncovered the tin from under a pile of books and papers. Moontrance is like sugar plums.

Since I'm talking with the Mayor and the Grand Poobah, I have to admit, I'm very cognizant of my title as 'Raconteur Extraordinaire.' I'm feeling the pressure to tell a long-winded story every time out the gate. :lol:

So, anyhow, a priest, a rabbi, and a Buddhist monk walk into a tobacco shop......Stop me if you've heard this one before....
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 pm See, WK, this is a point of contention between the Mayor and the Grand Poobah. He says Paladin is the Play-Doh smelling tobacco, I say Velvet reeks of that kerosene infused children's toy...substance...or whatever. I'f I have misrepresented your position Ruff I apologize.
You have not , oh grand master Poobah ........ freakin Paladin smells like playdoh . To me Velvet doesnt have much aroma , probably because its a stealthy steamed Rd Burley .... I dont think theres much of it left after the steaming . Rd Burley is like regular burley [ white ] on steroids . They steam the hell out of it and add a bit of something flavor wise and I have no clue what it could possibly be .. like zip , zero .. nada

That said , before the newer Velvet , the one before it did have a different aroma than the current one ... back then , I like Whaleheadking , got teh two confused . In all likelyhood , they both probabky do or did

Play doh , you can play with it or smoke it , kid :lol:
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I 2nd Whaleheadkings choice of SWRA being a must try blend ..... it is fabulous , unless you dont like it , like anything else .. lol
Wooda
Founding Member

In no particular order:
Erinmore flake. Cube cut and crispy dry. Taste the Pineapple (just to lend some bias to your taste buds). An aromatic flake everyone should try at least once.

1792 flake. Let it dry on a plate for a week, rub it out just enough to have sticks. Keep smoking until you grok all the nuances of tonquin.

John Patton Storm Front.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

It'll toast your butt if you aren't prepared, but OJK makes the list. People can see what tobacco can do when they smoke ojk.

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired or Bold Kentucky, to see what Dark fired leaf can do for a blend.

Trying not to repeat what's already been said. All of which, by the way, are great recommendations.
David M
Founding Member

Yeah, you mention the Mac Baren Latakia Spun Disc - wasn't that the Latakia Blend? I remember it from the early 1970's. I'd sure love to have some of that again!