Match Tobacco

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Southern Appalachia wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 pm Mayor have you tried Milan’s?
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/270 ... ondon-dock
Yes . It was a no go for me . The top note is pretty good but it has no low notes like the original . I dont care for it very much , unfortunately
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Billy Joe

Wildcat post_iin inng 681 wrote: I would be a happy pipe smokin' fool if all I had was Middleton's Sugar Barrel, Cherry Blend, Walnut, and Kentucky Club. Broke my heart when they went the way of the 8-track.

My take on match blends I've tried;

Mid-Town Chestnut: 99.9% Ivory Soap pure, spot on match for Walnut. Happy cat.

Mid-Town Cherry: I suspect it's nothing more than Sutliff Cherry Blend match, so I haven't bothered trying it, though I should. The Sutliff match is very good. Not exact, but close enough. The cut is different for sure.

Mid-Town Derby Club: Never had the original, but this is a very good smoke. Just can't say if it's a match or not.

Mid-Town Sugar Cask: A mix of foul smelling diabetic goat entrails and syphylitic horse manure. Definitely not a match for Sugar Barrel. Please excuse me for a moment while I cry... I wanted this one to be a match in the worst way.

Daughters and Ryan London Dock: I never had the original Middleton's blend, but heard so much about it that I wanted to try and hoped I would like this. I didn't. After a few bowls, it made me physically ill. Tried it again after a time and the same thing. I didn't get sick per say, but my stomach did a backflip. It wasn't vitamin N either.

I wish, I wish there were matches for Sugar Barrel and Kentucky Club Regular/Blue. I'm gonna cry again...
+1 on the Derby Club. Great on its own, but I didn't have the original so can't help there.

Have a bit of Sugar Barrel (4 Oz) if you are jonesing for some, PM me.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I like the Chestnut. It is a very good smoke. I had some Walnut but not much. For my tastebuds, they hit this nail on the head. I liked the KC regular as well, and have exactly one more pouch of it. I never had the KC version the Derby Club is based on, but I like it enough to buy it by the tub. Chatham Manor is good, but it is not the best match for CH. I think the Prince Andrew is a pretty good match for Prince Albert without the chemical waft.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Gonna give Chestnut and Derby Club Aro a shot. Thanks for the imput. Sure wish I'd been smoking when the originals were in production. They seem like a cool litle part of American pipe smoking.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Southern Appalachia wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:42 pm Gonna give Chestnut and Derby Club Aro a shot. Thanks for the imput. Sure wish I'd been smoking when the originals were in production. They seem like a cool litle part of American pipe smoking.
If you don't like these, there are plenty of people who do, and it won't be hard to find someone to trade them away.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Reviving this thread since I found it useful. Also wanted to see if anyone has anymore experience with the other Sutliff Matches. Not so much if they are a match, more if they are just good.

Mostly interested in Troost and Holiday Mixture.

I’ve tried Bourbon Street and it was a simple aromatic. Nothing special.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:08 pm Reviving this thread since I found it useful. Also wanted to see if anyone has anymore experience with the other Sutliff Matches. Not so much if they are a match, more if they are just good.

Mostly interested in Troost and Holiday Mixture.

I’ve tried Bourbon Street and it was a simple aromatic. Nothing special.
Good work, Abe.

I don't care much about the match aspect of a blend so much as whether I like the blend. Since I mostly stick to Super-Value, any match blend is an upgrade for me and I am happy for it.

I am interested to see how the conversation veers, because I do like better blends but I have no need for an endless collection of empty tins.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I tried Prince Andrew, and found it bitey. Didn't like it much, though I really like Prince Albert.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:09 pm I tried Prince Andrew, and found it bitey. Didn't like it much, though I really like Prince Albert.
Chatham Manor did the same thing to me. Love me some Carter Hall
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:08 pm Mostly interested in... Holiday Mixture.
Yes, me too. Wish I bought a truckload of Lane's Holiday Excursion which was a Holiday Mixture match. Mmm mmm good!

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/66 ... -excursion
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom