Any Kayak Hunter/Fishermen?

Chock Chucker

So I have been a duck hunter for 8 years now, and fishing as long as I can remember. Most of my experience has been without any creature comforts. This year, I hunted with a friend that had a kayak. Greatest thing ever! No more packing in decoys and gear, or being limited to water depths that don't fill your waders. We were able to hunt in stronger winds and currents without fear of losing birds since we don't have dogs. But now the season is over, my wife decided to get me my own kayak for my birthday just in time for warmer weather and fishing. Any others out there have ideas or recommendations for ducks or fish? Let's see your gear!
ejr10mm

No pictures of my kayak, but I did by a field and stream fishing kayak a few years ago. I think its a 12ft eagle run or something like that. It floats my fat ass and is pretty fun to fish out of. I grew up fishing out of canoes and was thinking kayak fishing would be a whole lot tougher. I found out its not bad at all. Ive really fallen in love with fishing with an ultra light pole this past season and I can't wait for spring to hit so I can get out there.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Interested and subscribed.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I've been kicking around the idea of a pedal kayak. What I found amazing is the number of gadgets and devices that you can mount on them.
ever forward
SasquatchoftheEast

I have a SO kayak (West Marine Caymen 11.5) it is a "budget" kayak compared to a drive kayak. But it has one of the best capacities for size (500 lbs) and balances very well (31 inches wide). I have taken it from salt water (inshore and bays) to rivers for fishing and camping. I'll post pictures of my setup with the anchor system, fish finder and bait platform (all Scotty) when I am on a PC. -Squatch
racinghoss

I have fished from borrowed kayaks a couple times. Way better than a canoe.

I was up in Quebec kayak fishing several years ago and got hooked on to a big pike. That was a fun ride!
Whistlebritches

Chock Chucker wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:56 pm So I have been a duck hunter for 8 years now, and fishing as long as I can remember. Most of my experience has been without any creature comforts. This year, I hunted with a friend that had a kayak. Greatest thing ever! No more packing in decoys and gear, or being limited to water depths that don't fill your waders. We were able to hunt in stronger winds and currents without fear of losing birds since we don't have dogs. But now the season is over, my wife decided to get me my own kayak for my birthday just in time for warmer weather and fishing. Any others out there have ideas or recommendations for ducks or fish? Let's see your gear!
I've duck hunted from a boat and from my fishing tube a couple times but usually stick to puddles that require no dog or boat.This year however my puddles were lakes that resembled Texoma...…..full to the flipping brim.I could've used a kayak.Gonna have to give this some thought.

Just 75 miles north of you........we may have to get together and swap lies.
Chock Chucker

Whistlebritches wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:36 pm

I've duck hunted from a boat and from my fishing tube a couple times but usually stick to puddles that require no dog or boat.This year however my puddles were lakes that resembled Texoma...…..full to the flipping brim.I could've used a kayak.Gonna have to give this some thought.

I recently moved down to Abilene from Wichita Falls. 75 miles is nothing to drive for a hunt and story telling. We will for sure have to meet up next season, if not sooner for some fishing at least.
Chock Chucker

SasquatchoftheEast wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:32 am I have a SO kayak (West Marine Caymen 11.5) it is a "budget" kayak compared to a drive kayak. But it has one of the best capacities for size (500 lbs) and balances very well (31 inches wide). I have taken it from salt water (inshore and bays) to rivers for fishing and camping. I'll post pictures of my setup with the anchor system, fish finder and bait platform (all Scotty) when I am on a PC. -Squatch
I have a Pelican Catch 120. After the first trip out, I hit Amazon up to find new gizmos for it...cup holder, anchor trolleys, and a dog flexi leash. I saw a video that recommended the leash for your anchor so there is no line to get tangled up. They are rated for 100+lbs and easily clip on with a carabiner. I have never had a fish finder and need to learn the basics before I drop money on something. I need to budget, but want the best bang for my buck. What fish finder are you sporting?
Whistlebritches

Chock Chucker wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:08 pm
Whistlebritches wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:36 pm

I recently moved down to Abilene from Wichita Falls. 75 miles is nothing to drive for a hunt and story telling. We will for sure have to meet up next season, if not sooner for some fishing at least.
Funny........my daughter is a nurse in Wichita Falls.

Lets make this happen this fall.Lotsa bird hunting up my way