Must try blends

StompyMcFat

If I could add only one must try.... Dunhill EMP.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

David M wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:51 am Yeah, you mention the Mac Baren Latakia Spun Disc - wasn't that the Latakia Blend? I remember it from the early 1970's. I'd sure love to have some of that again!
I can publicly thank Wildcrow for snagging me a tin of it somewhere recently !!! [ Thank You , Sir ] .. Yes , its the latakia blend and it was so wonderful its scary . I think they may still make it for th European market because I looked at their website the other day and both it and teh new lat blends are listed

I think , sadly , that it didnt go over well in the American market because of its name . It had only a touch of Latakia in it but it was called Latakia blend ,,, so , I believe many purchased it thinking it was gonna be an up front lat blend , which it isnt . They gave it that name because , of all their spun disc blends , it was the only one to contain any Latakia .

If theyd have named it Tanked out Turtle with a cute cartoon of a drunk turtle on the tin ...... it would have been on backorder for years because of its popularity . Heck , if they would have just named it anything else , it would have been a popular blend for them . It was/is by far , their best disc blend , inho
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
David M
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:51 pm
David M wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:51 am Yeah, you mention the Mac Baren Latakia Spun Disc - wasn't that the Latakia Blend? I remember it from the early 1970's. I'd sure love to have some of that again!
I can publicly thank Wildcrow for snagging me a tin of it somewhere recently !!! [ Thank You , Sir ] .. Yes , its the latakia blend and it was so wonderful its scary . I think they may still make it for th European market because I looked at their website the other day and both it and teh new lat blends are listed

I think , sadly , that it didnt go over well in the American market because of its name . It had only a touch of Latakia in it but it was called Latakia blend ,,, so , I believe many purchased it thinking it was gonna be an up front lat blend , which it isnt . They gave it that name because , of all their spun disc blends , it was the only one to contain any Latakia .

If theyd have named it Tanked out Turtle with a cute cartoon of a drunk turtle on the tin ...... it would have been on backorder for years because of its popularity . Heck , if they would have just named it anything else , it would have been a popular blend for them . It was/is by far , their best disc blend , inho
Damn, now I want some!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

David M wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Damn, now I want some!
Tell ya what , The next one I pop , I"ll send you some to try . When I pop it , Ill make a thread of it , so just remind me to shoot you out some
David M
Founding Member

That's very kind of you. I can't wait!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

David M wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm That's very kind of you. I can't wait!
Just dont fall in love or get used to it ..... its such a drag that this one is gone . For Christmass , my wife would buy a roll of tin of that [ a 5 pack ] . It was the best present I got every year .

MB doesnt have the most exciting tins ... but the Lat Blend excites the hell out of me
David M
Founding Member

You're killin' me with that picture!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I think everyone should have tried Carter Hall, SWRA, and LNF. They are good and easy to find. You get a codger burley, and good aromatic and a Virginia flake with a touch of perique. Orientals and latakia are not on my must try list because I am not thinking of any quickly that are easy to find or like London Mixture are going away.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
JBRiner

Ruff, I bought a tin of Germain 1820 on your recommendation several years ago. I still haven’t opened it. I don’t know what I’m waiting for lol.

If I were recommending must try blends, I would point to PS LBF, Twist Flake, Navy Flake, English Oriental Supreme and Proper English. I have smoked pounds of those baccys and cannot recommend them enough! And they are cheap and readily available.
Adwyth
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Another that I had recently and of course is not available is McConnells lat flake . It's sublime , truly

[mention]David M[/mention] ... I still remember you when I pop the MB lat disc