Well That Was Real Fast

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:50 am I've had a few bowls on Penzance, it's nice but I'm not big on Latakia. Have not had anything else from them and at this point don't want to say I hate the brand but that I seem to abhor even bothering with them. Almost glad I don't know what I'm missing as I doubt it's worth the frustration or price. Good luck, I've given up on them so that's one less person to compete with, not sure it matters as the real obstacle is those with a lifetime supply that keep bulking up. Godspeed.
I've been lucky enough(or had nice enough friends) to try a lot of them. Out of Penzance, Stonehaven, Dorchester, Tilbury, And So To Bed, Margate, Pembroke.. the only ones I liked ok were Tilbury and Stonehaven. Stonehaven was sort of a finicky pain in the butt, and would only deliver if it was right in the goldilocks zone. Tilbury reminded me a lot of Pegasus, but in a shag cut. Come to think of it.. I haven't really been wowed enough by anything Germain's makes (Special Lat Flake, Plum Cake Mixture, Sobranie).. don't get me wrong they are all smokeable/decent, just not worth the huge pain in the butt to get.

I'd smoke Lancer's Slices over Penzance any day if I were looking for a Latakia flake.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Peacock wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:36 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:50 am I've had a few bowls on Penzance, it's nice but I'm not big on Latakia. Have not had anything else from them and at this point don't want to say I hate the brand but that I seem to abhor even bothering with them. Almost glad I don't know what I'm missing as I doubt it's worth the frustration or price. Good luck, I've given up on them so that's one less person to compete with, not sure it matters as the real obstacle is those with a lifetime supply that keep bulking up. Godspeed.
I think the real obstacle is the internet hype cycle and it's apparent unavailability. I would bet that a large portion of purchases come from first-time buyers who just want to take a picture to share with their online compatriots. It's the allure of getting something so hard to get in a era where instant gratification is the standard. :lurk:
The internet is clearly what makes it such an impossible task. I've done the notifications but never been notified as I was always number 3000 or something and by the time you see someone mention availability of anything it's already been gone. Some get a kick out of paying premium prices and fighting for hard to obtain things, not me in the slightest. I like a quiet, easy, deal. But there are a number of people buying then listing these on the secondary market immediately, they recieve zero support from me and I hope they go away, bunch of vultures. Then there's the real hoarders. If I could cellar deep I would but there are many who have well over a lifetimes supply and continue to acquire in large volumes, some with blends they've never even had. It's one thing to stock up on favorites but deliberately gouging others and indiscrimiately hoarding for the sake of hype I just can't abide. Have better things to occupy my time than headaches and aggravation.
Peacock

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:13 am
I think the real obstacle is the internet hype cycle and it's apparent unavailability. I would bet that a large portion of purchases come from first-time buyers who just want to take a picture to share with their online compatriots. It's the allure of getting something so hard to get in a era where instant gratification is the standard. :lurk:
The internet is clearly what makes it such an impossible task. I've done the notifications but never been notified as I was always number 3000 or something and by the time you see someone mention availability of anything it's already been gone. Some get a kick out of paying premium prices and fighting for hard to obtain things, not me in the slightest. I like a quiet, easy, deal. But there are a number of people buying then listing these on the secondary market immediately, they recieve zero support from me and I hope they go away, bunch of vultures. Then there's the real hoarders. If I could cellar deep I would but there are many who have well over a lifetimes supply and continue to acquire in large volumes, some with blends they've never even had. It's one thing to stock up on favorites but deliberately gouging others and indiscrimiately hoarding for the sake of hype I just can't abide. Have better things to occupy my time than headaches and aggravation.
You and me both, brother. But I share your frustration. It's almost worth not trying it at all so you don't have to fight the hype beast. I was into sneaker collecting in my younger days and this is one of the primary reasons (and the fact that I had way, way, way too many shoes to ever wear) that I got out of it - the fun is gone when there's not even a chance to acquire something you've been waiting for at retail. I'm not going to pay 2-10x markup just because you bought them and relisted them on ebay... but I guess that's the decision you have to make. There's lots of good tobacco out there and I haven't even come close to sampling it all.
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Oh I have no frustration, least not self induced regarding anything clearly out of my reach. Can I be frustrated that I can't afford to rip up hundred dollar bills while taking a cold shower? Maybe someone else but that's not my trip.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:31 am ...Can I be frustrated that I can't afford to rip up hundred dollar bills...
Or literally set them on fire inside a pipe. :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mrm1775

I want to double and triple like this thread
Last edited by Mrm1775 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrm1775

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:13 am
I want to double and triple like this post.
Arkansas Paul

I lucked out the other day. My local shop got some in and I snagged 4 oz of it.
I put 2 oz back in the cellar and am smoking the other 2 oz.
I was pretty stoked to get it.
"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
-Albert Einstein, 1950

"It has been my experience that those who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-Abe Lincoln
Peacock

Arkansas Paul wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 am I lucked out the other day. My local shop got some in and I snagged 4 oz of it.
I put 2 oz back in the cellar and am smoking the other 2 oz.
I was pretty stoked to get it.
What're taxes in AR like? Our local B&M in Portland charges upwards of $30 for 2oz...
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Arkansas Paul

Peacock wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:40 pm What're taxes in AR like? Our local B&M in Portland charges upwards of $30 for 2oz...
It's pretty similar here.
It's not bad on cigars, only .50 per stick, no matter if it's a $5 cigar or a $25 cigar.
Pipe tobacco however is awful. There is a 68% tax in addition to the normal sales tax.

A tin of normal stuff like C&D, Orlik and the like is around $20 per tin.
Capstan, Sam Gawith and such are closer to $30 per tin.
"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
-Albert Einstein, 1950

"It has been my experience that those who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-Abe Lincoln