Latest Pipe Purchase 2019

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Peacock wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm Picked up three estate pipes off the bay today: a German-made fat author shape (first of this shape), a Peterson 303 p-lip (my first Peterson) I've been pining for and a Calabash without the meerschaum insert (only $20 hopefully it's gourd).

PAD took a hold of me... Shipping to work :fart:
ImageImageImage

Calabash pics: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CALABA ... 4152484711
Nice, dig the blast on that German Diplomat, is it filtered? You can get replacement bowls for thr Calabash, they smoke great but don't lend themselves to any activity, tedious. Traded mine for old tubs of tobacco, delicious.
Peacock

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:58 pm
Peacock wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm Picked up three estate pipes off the bay today: a German-made fat author shape (first of this shape), a Peterson 303 p-lip (my first Peterson) I've been pining for and a Calabash without the meerschaum insert (only $20 hopefully it's gourd).

ImageImageImage

Nice, dig the blast on that German Diplomat, is it filtered? You can get replacement bowls for thr Calabash, they smoke great but don't lend themselves to any activity, tedious. Traded mine for old tubs of tobacco, delicious.
It's an HHB Monarch 59 - no mention of it being filtered in the listing but don't have the pipes yet in my possession. Thanks, I liked the shape and sandblast on that side too. Have a couple other German pipes I'm a fan of so we will see how this pans out.

I found the Meerschaum Store makes replacement bowls, which is why I bought the pipe in the first place. Very curious to see how it smokes, my pipe smoking idol when I first started was the great tobacconist Steve Books whom I always saw with a gourd Calabash roaming around Rich's in Portland. What does cleaning out an estate mean? Assuming I have to go easier on the gourd than I would Briar (if it is indeed a true Calabash and not lesser wood)
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

It looks like gourd, if you're lucky the previous owner suffered a loss of the bowl before dirtying it up. Take it easy cleaning the interior, lightly scrape off any build up, that's about it. Check the cork to see if it needs replaced and take measurements so you get a bowl that fits and doesn't bottom out or have trouble seating. You might need to modify the replacement some. The stem and mount can be cleaned like normal just be careful of the gourd.
Peacock

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 am It looks like gourd, if you're lucky the previous owner suffered a loss of the bowl before dirtying it up. Take it easy cleaning the interior, lightly scrape off any build up, that's about it. Check the cork to see if it needs replaced and take measurements so you get a bowl that fits and doesn't bottom out or have trouble seating. You might need to modify the replacement some. The stem and mount can be cleaned like normal just be careful of the gourd.
Cool thanks! The cork isn't anything particular - hobby cork sheet or summat should work if need be yeah?
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Yeah, cork is cork, little strips from a sheet or whatever, if necessary. It might be fine, or just need a little beeswax/oil worked in. If it's not crumbling it's fine.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

ImageImageImage

I like the banker shape. I had a friend who had one in the '70's when I was first starting.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Very nice pipes, gentlemen! I got nothing.. 💨💨
The Troll Whisperer
Peacock

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:02 am

ImageImageImage
I like the banker shape. I had a friend who had one in the '70's when I was first starting.
Banker, diplomat, fat author - who's the authority on the pipe shape? The owner of said pipe - or is there a definitive guide I haven't found yet?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Peacock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:02 am

ImageImageImage
Banker, diplomat, fat author - who's the authority on the pipe shape? The owner of said pipe - or is there a definitive guide I haven't found yet?
The pipe maker gets to name it whatever they want. Generally Banker's(also called a diplomat) have an oval shank, whereas a Prince does not. An Author lacks the taper in the bowl towards the chamber and usually has a more robust shank (they almost look like a chubby comma)... Not to be confused with a Hawkbill which has a more dramatic shank angle/curvature.

Edit- Forgot this.. I like this pipe chart because each one has a little explanation, and a description of some of the variations you might see:
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Shapes
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I think the maker gets to pick the name for the shape. So you get the Rhodesian and all the confusion there.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017