Bitch , Moan , Cry and Groan ......

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

So , I went into the " cellar " a little while ago and i was figuring to smoke some MB GE as usuasl . Then I thought ... Man , I smoke alot of this stuff ( it's my go to btw ) and I think I'll smoke something a little special being I'm home from a work trip that popped up on me right after I got home from a work trip .
My eye scans the awesomeness that is my stash ( it's really not so big , so ya know) and lands on McClelland Tawny Flake .. which only reminds me of the disaster that is their recent closing down .............. and that's when it began .... the bitchin .

Man , I really liked Tawny Flake a lot .. like alot alot . It . Like others that I liked alot .. freakin gone .( that read like trump speaks , minus the word man .. just sayin ) .

So here's my bitch moan cry groan list . I'm not looking for sympathy and there are currently other blends available that I enjoy , though they are becoming less available sadly . Some are available but not never available online anymore . It sucks

Here's my list of blends that I really hit hard for a tine and they got yanked . Hell , I'll even write in chronological order of when I smoked them . These were favorites

Argosy . Very similar to captain black dark . It doesn't hurt that it's gone but it was my first

London Dock . Such a unique blend that no one has come close to . They try and fail

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed . Thankfully , sutliff does as good job . It just lacks depth compared to the original

Amphora Brown . The new version is pale

Edgeworth Slices ... God's gift to mankind . God isn't gifting anymore in regards to slices of this kind ( because Wessex Burley Slice might as well be gone too ) It was the pinnacle along with .....

Three Nuns ..... omg , what a blend . I like the new version ok , but like the Edgeworth rr , it lacks depth of flavor in comparison . There's no " bang "

Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium . I loved the Murray's version . It was one of the few " English " blends I've enjoyed

Durinhg the years while enjoying those favorites , I smoked otc to break things up . The amount of off blends thst are gone is a horrid thought and shameful . I'm glad a few are gone because they may have sped up ther downfall of man they were so bad.. but many were damn good . I mean Walnut , Sugar Barrel , the Kentucy Clubs etc ... damn

Of recent decades , as my luck would have it , I fell in love with MB Latakia ( the now gone disc version ) . It was incredible , truly . For Christmas and my birthday , my wife would buy a sleeve of tins and it was always such s sight ... I burned through tins of those and loved every moment . Gone .
Other recent favorite have been McClellend # 24 and Tawny Flake ... Gone .

Favorite blends that are favorites and still made ( supposedly ) ...

Germains 1820 ( a perfect blend ) , Germains Royal Jersey Perique ( another perfect blend ) , McConnell Scottish and latakia flske , most any F&T flake , Sg Firedance , the wessex burley flake , their virginia flakes and disc blends .... blends by Dan Tobacco etc ... God , I could rattle on and on . So many blends get talked about t hen disssappear

Thank God for Mac Baren . It doesn't seem like they ever get affected by the hoard bug or whatever . They keep me happy

I'm envious of those that dig GLP, H&H and C&D stuff . They don't have supply issues so much and I'd be all over them if I found them worth smoking

There ya have it ... my official " crying " rant

There are good blends out there that I do enjoy but I'm afraid to taslk about them because I think I'm a curse to a blends existence

I swear, if anyone replies with .... oh , there's stuff out there still , there's no need to cry about it ...... whatever , I get it , but this is a Bitch , cry . Moan and groan thread and optimism isn't welcome
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

You definitely have to be on every alert list known to the web to have a shot at some of the blends you listed. I may be crazy but it does seem like the wessex and F&T blends have been very slightly easier to snag over the past couple shipments this year than they were all of last year
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Chin up buttercup.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 pm Chin up buttercup.
How much vintage three nuns ya got ?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

My crying paid off .. it seems there's a few Dan blends available
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

See? It really is the squeaky wheel... :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Sorry, I am feeling optimistic today.. :lol:

I have only been smoking a pipe for about 10 years, which I think is pretty advantageous in that I haven't been deprived of pretty much any blend that I really enjoy. Short of maybe Vintage Syrian - which I pretty much *just* discovered, I can't really think of anything that I wish was still around. I was never really a McClelland fan, despite trying at least 20 of their blends, although I do still lament their passing if for nothing else than empathy for my fellow pipe bro's and the loss of a American family business.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Middle Earth

There is a bright side to deep cellar method on your favorites.
I have McClelland blends up the wazoo.
And some other extinct blends.
Tobacco is a great investment which will keep getting better with age, and, all the while, becomes more valuable.
Had I only doubled on the Edgeworth Slices. That would be epic right now.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

My biggest bitch, moan, cry, and groan is Middleton. PA and CH are basically all that's left. I guess they did it to themselves but I hate it. No Apple, Cherry Blend tubs (and just try to find pouches), and Sugar Barrel. The Kentucky Clubs. London Dock as the Mayor noted. The PA variants are pretty much gone except for Cherry Vanilla. An entire company wiped out basically. Oh well. They were getting to expensive anyway I guess.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 pm
Sorry, I am feeling optimistic today.. :lol:

I have only been smoking a pipe for about 10 years, which I think is pretty advantageous in that I haven't been deprived of pretty much any blend that I really enjoy. Short of maybe Vintage Syrian - which I pretty much *just* discovered, I can't really think of anything that I wish was still around. I was never really a McClelland fan, despite trying at least 20 of their blends, although I do still lament their passing if for nothing else than empathy for my fellow pipe bro's and the loss of a American family business.
McClelland and their Ketchup blends I wasn't into . Their non ketchup Virginia's were great . Their tinned aromatics were very very good ..... < sigh > ... Yeah , Holiday spirit and Easy Stret ...... my eyes are watering and lips quivering :lol:
MikeDennison wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 pm See? It really is the squeaky wheel... :D
Lol ... yes !! I think ill bitch and moan more often !!