Pipe smoking AmatEur Radio!

CoreyR
Founding Member

Longshanks wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 am I know used to HAM it up in Illinois area. Hadn't seen him on since he posted on the new member board, though.

I looked into taking classes on HAM radio when I lived in Cookeville, TN. They offered free testing locally. Honestly, the electronics part is the only thing that throws me off. I know I could learn it, I just didn't do well understanding electronics in high school... most likely due to my greater interest in girls and beer at the time.

Now that I live in Bowling Green, I'd still love to HAM it up. Sadly, I'm in an uppity neighborhood that would frown on a huge antenna in the back yard. I'm close enough to I-65, however, I could probably just plug in the ol' CB I have and reach passers-by with a vehicle antenna.
The electronics part was what kept me away for a long time also but it really is not all that hard. All of the questions are published, with the correct answers, online. all you have to do is study them. You can take every variation of the test online also. I just tested myself, over and over and over, until I could past it more often than I failed it. I kept a notebook and, everytime I missed a question, I wrote it down, with the correct answer only. I studied this. There are also classes on youtube. Just make certain you are watching one for the current element test. There are only 35 questions on the Tech test. You must get 27 right to pass and it is pass fail. Who cares if you only get 27? That is passing!
As for the neighborhood? ARRL has some killer resources on clandestine antennas. You would be surprised what you can get away with and it is incredibly fun to run things up, right under neighbors noses. disguise it as landscaping!
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:43 am They got this thing called the internet now .. Lol ... only kidding . Yeah , Hamm is killer !! I think every town should be required to have at least two operators
Actually, you can now do "internet" things, over the radio by means of amateur radio packet communications/switching. Things like Winlink, RTTY, and other data transmission are rapidly becoming a BIG segment of the hobby. I am sorta a wet blanket, just sticking with phone.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

CoreyR wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:52 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:43 am They got this thing called the internet now .. Lol ... only kidding . Yeah , Hamm is killer !! I think every town should be required to have at least two operators
Hmmm, in my home town that would mean that both my wife and I would have to be licensed!!!
LOL, it is not quite that bad ....but close.
is there a license involved ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am
CoreyR wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:52 am
Hmmm, in my home town that would mean that both my wife and I would have to be licensed!!!
LOL, it is not quite that bad ....but close.
is there a license involved ?
Yep, three levels. Tech, general and amateur advanced. I am a tech and getting ready to test for general.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

CoreyR wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 am
Longshanks wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 am I know used to HAM it up in Illinois area. Hadn't seen him on since he posted on the new member board, though.

I looked into taking classes on HAM radio when I lived in Cookeville, TN. They offered free testing locally. Honestly, the electronics part is the only thing that throws me off. I know I could learn it, I just didn't do well understanding electronics in high school... most likely due to my greater interest in girls and beer at the time.

Now that I live in Bowling Green, I'd still love to HAM it up. Sadly, I'm in an uppity neighborhood that would frown on a huge antenna in the back yard. I'm close enough to I-65, however, I could probably just plug in the ol' CB I have and reach passers-by with a vehicle antenna.
The electronics part was what kept me away for a long time also but it really is not all that hard. All of the questions are published, with the correct answers, online. all you have to do is study them. You can take every variation of the test online also. I just tested myself, over and over and over, until I could past it more often than I failed it. I kept a notebook and, everytime I missed a question, I wrote it down, with the correct answer only. I studied this. There are also classes on youtube. Just make certain you are watching one for the current element test. There are only 35 questions on the Tech test. You must get 27 right to pass and it is pass fail. Who cares if you only get 27? That is passing!
As for the neighborhood? ARRL has some killer resources on clandestine antennas. You would be surprised what you can get away with and it is incredibly fun to run things up, right under neighbors noses. disguise it as landscaping!
Yeah, I'm a pretty solid book learner, and it helps that everything a guy needs to know is available online, now. I'm confident I could pick it up and knock it out of the park now that I've got an interest in the subject. I only commented on electronics because I wish I'd paid more attention in high school electronics class. Anywhoo, the only thing stopping me now is time, but I'm pretty sure I'll pursue HAM at a future date. I'll keep you posted.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
CoreyR
Founding Member

I got a wild hair notion that I may, and I stress "MAY," just go ahead and test for both the general and the amateur extra at the same time. :shock:

BTW, I just yanked my Yaesu FT 7900R outa my truck, it has given me problems since I installed it and now it simply will not transmit on 2 meter for more than 24 hours after I have to do a factory reset. It is going back to the factory but, since I installed it after it had sat on the shelf for almost a year, it is out of warranty so I know they are going to rip me off on "repair costs." Still...
I had a 2900R before and I LOVEd that thing, it was a BRICK and nothing damaged it. I have it in the house as part of my base station now. I put a Kenwood V71 in the truck and I am learning it. It has a lot more features than I am used to but...I am learning it.
CoreyR
Founding Member

To combine the hobbies, and throw in a third, the wife and I went camping this weekend, first trip out this year!. We went to Kerr Lake, on the NC side. I spent saturday sitting at the picnic table, smoking my "Wizard," MM cobbit and programming HT's and my mobile rig, in my truck. I had my computer and my "go boxes" set up along with a roll, dual band, up dipole antenna and I was talking from Raleigh to Richmond.
I got a few folks asking questions but only one who seriously showed interest, a turkish guy, there with his family.
Davidnh

I'm a Ham.Kb1pyb
CoreyR
Founding Member

Davidnh wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:21 pm I'm a Ham.Kb1pyb
Greetings to another pipe smoking Ham!
Davidnh

I'm also a ham,Kb1pyb, David.